Aces Aircraft of WW2 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thinking about jumping in for my first group build. Trying to decide among a few choices. Tough decisions.

Hello,

Do you try to find the Hasegawa Kit 09753 "P-40K 64th fighter Squadron" ? [/IMG]

Steph

Hello Steph. Thanks I did get the Hasegawa Kitty III kit 09715, same as the one above with different decals.

Plan to build James F "Eddie" Edwards mount while in 260 sqdn of the WDAF code HS-B. Having trouble finding decals and may have to paint them or make my own.

Is a 1/72nd scale kit okay? I see most people are looking for quarter scale kits.

I have the Xtrakits 1/72 Spitfire XII of F/L Don Smith RAAF (5 1/3 victories, 1 in the Spit XII), which would fit the bill.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew

There's no restriction on scale, so 1/72 is fine, and your choice sounds great.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter, choosing an Australian ace probably helped there... :)
I probably will be a late starter, as I have a few things to complete before I can tackle this one.

cheers

Andrew

I am still waiting for my 1/48 Accurate Miniatures Yak-1b from my friend in the States. He better not let me down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Although with just one entry this time it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks Peter, choosing an Australian ace probably helped there... :)
I probably will be a late starter, as I have a few things to complete before I can tackle this one.

cheers

Andrew

I reckon the aces build will bring out a great variety and will have some interesting choices. There are always going to be some of the more famous aces done, but throwing the spotlight on a few of the not so famous is always good, and yes, Aussie aces are especially so, for us downunder. I've got one picked out too! Cheers 8)

I'm in for two, possibly five builds for this!

The first is an airfix 1/48 BF 109F, the mount of hans joachim marseille.

The next two are both Werner molders planes, a Hasegawa 1/48 BF 109F and a academy 1/48 BF 109D from his condor legion days.

Still awaiting paint i ordered for an Hasegawa 1/48 F6F hellcat flown by david mccampbell which I will be working on as soon as it comes.

The last is a tamiya 1/48 A6M2 zero sen flown by Suburo Sakai.

I hope to get all of these in on this build, and maybe a few others!

You like to keep yourself busy don't you mate? Please keep in mind that number of entries for each member is limited to four per Group Build as stated in group build guidelines.

In that case it will only be four at most won't it.

The build times here for teh groups are very long for someone like me, i tend to work all week on a project as you've all seen already, and finish it.

I'm not big on letting something sit for months with no progress.

I just read Bruce Myles Night Witches and I would love to do Lily Livak's plane but there does not seem to be an actual picture of her aircraft. Anybody by chance have anything??????

I just read Bruce Myles Night Witches and I would love to do Lily Livak's plane but there does not seem to be an actual picture of her aircraft. Anybody by chance have anything??????
Best i can do:

litvyk3.jpg

There is a recolored photo of her plane here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51076493@N08/5166840670/in/photostream

Last edited:
Yikes, did not realize you were building it! According to her mechanic, she painted white lilies as kill markings (confused with a rose, hence her nickname), but no photo exists that shows them. Thanks for the help fellas, I'll probably go with my Captain Liu Chui-Kang's (Chinease Air Force - 7 Kills)

I'm thinking of doing the P-47M flown by Russell Kyler. The info I have found states that he had 3 air kills and 7 ground kills. Does that qualify him as an ace for this build?

Yikes, did not realize you were building it! According to her mechanic, she painted white lilies as kill markings (confused with a rose, hence her nickname), but no photo exists that shows them. Thanks for the help fellas, I'll probably go with my Captain Liu Chui-Kang's (Chinease Air Force - 7 Kills)

I wouldn't see that a problem...... My AccMin kit is on it's way from the States as I type. I've found a bunch of stuff on her, but knew nothing of the Lillies! I will have to look more.

Sounds like a great 'group build'. As you know, I don't do scale plastic models. If you ever get around to doing a group build
on seaplanes of WW-II, I just might do one out of the box.. Good luck to all....

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back