Had it, loved it, sold it...now what?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is the recently revived Norton company still alive? They had a nice new version of the Commando.
Would that qualify as heresy among those fond of older Nortons?

No Nin, no more than the modern Triumph. You'll always get the 'they were better then' brigade but, they were not.
A modern Commando? That would be a great sight and ride.

I want one :)

Beautiful, aren't they. The new Nortons look like REAL Motorcycles. When I was very young, I remember three types of motorcycles: Harleys, British twins, and little Hondas, all air-cooled. Many did not consider the Hondas real motorcycles.

Does anyone else remember the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" campaign to change the perception of motorcycle riders? I do. Or at least I think I do. Memory ain't what it used to be.
Or was it :"Cold feet, the icy West Steeple, Jane Fonda." No, that does not seem right.

What are we talking about?
Nap time!:sleeping:

...now what? This! :D

1011001_10201648891289252_83778438_n.jpg

Does anyone else remember the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" campaign to change the perception of motorcycle riders?

Nin. I do as well. A C50 was paraded as a 'nice person's' two wheeled steed.....
Maybe that is were BSA went wrong :)

I read some of the info on the new Nortons. They build their own frames and motors, so it is about a British as it can get.
One question: Is there a special compartment to keep your fish and chips warm for the ride home?:?:

There is a special model for the French market with a seat for a passenger. This implies that the models for the home market only have room for one. What's the matter? Do you British folks have problems making friends?:p

Love the Bacon Baskets, a mighty fine idea if you got the skills... scrummy.
Mmm shredded bacon (with or without bits-of/flecks-of black pudding) mixed into batter for a yorkshire porked pudding; forgive my naming any resident 'Original Angles men' - I've heard that the Yorkshirians believe they are the 1st of English...

I always thought it was Wessex, Middlesex, Sussex Anglia which were first main areas inhabited by the Saxons/Angles myself - Northumberland, Yorkshire Lincolnshire was amongst the earliest places they attacked, pillaged, raped made example of for the other inhabitants to be fearful of in the UK islands group. Yes, I know York, like Belfast, Rugby and many other places were settlements started by the Anglo-Saxons/the Viking insurgents...

Last edited:
There is a special model for the French market with a seat for a passenger. This implies that the models for the home market only have room for one. What's the matter? Do you British folks have problems making friends?:p

Nin,Any British women biker worth her salt wants to ride her own bike not ride pillion :)

"... Maybe that is were BSA went wrong..."

Or was it the oil leaks or the primary chains that needed adjustment .... or tapping aluminum bolts into steel .....? :)

MM

That too as well as always Buying Spares Again, mind due, the only Beesa I had was a Bantam D-7 (with 173cc motor) I only had it break down once when out upon it (rain, snow or hills couldn't stop it..) - the contact breaker ignition timing plates retaining screw ate its threads, and the ignitions plate would got out of position hence ignition failed once I got to Banbury one time from one of the villages around Daventry, the vibrations had completely wore the portion of the thread in the casing smooth.

Before it stopped starting, it would occasionally stop in the week prior, but as of then, I hadn't worked out that it was this little 5p screw slowly wearing smooth.

Luckily a friends parent bypassed me in their car while travelling home, and they managed to get a neighbour of theirs with a pick up to sling it in the back to get it to my own village.. took say 30 mins once home to turn and lever/wedge the screw to get the remaining threads to engauge and be able to be taken out, mind, I was stranded in B'bury town center for 2 hours before starting to push it back prior to my friends getting help - in early mobile days.

Love the Manx and the wonderfully gorgeous lines of the A.J.S. 'Boy Racer' 7R... big single stonking power!

Last edited:
Either way, much rather have an old AJS, BSA, Norton, Triumph, Vincent, HD, Indian....
They may have not have been as reliable as the modern bikes of today, but I don't care, it's part of their charm and should something happen, you can fix it yourself and they've got sh*tloads of style and coolness, stuff they lack today!

Its amazing what modern synthetic oils, electronic ignitions, suspension reworking newer tyre brake technologies can do for old 'classic' bikes. Oil leaks were never much of a problem unless you over filled it, didn't let it warm up properly before giving it the berries so to speak, either that or they weren't good at home servicing.

"... Maybe that is were BSA went wrong..."

Or was it the oil leaks or the primary chains that needed adjustment .... or tapping aluminum bolts into steel .....? :)

MM

Two issues Michael... bikes made on worn milling machines ( lack of investment) and a complete and utter failure to read the market...especially want the young riders wanted. Cue the 250cc Japanese two strokes...

Bit like the rest of British industry in the 1960's... if you ignore the rest of the world you go under.

Hey ho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back