Harrison Ford injured in an apparent WWII era aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks to me like the big gouges were caused by the engine after hitting the tree and nosing in. If so - luck he didn't nose over on the back. He needed another ~700 feet altitude to make the threshold.

Yep!! I don't know if you ever flew out of there Bill but the threshold on the west end of the field is elevated above 23rd st. I'm guessing he was taking off to the west and tried to turn around

if he clipped a tree that probably skewed his glide plane and put him more nose down....if that hadnt happend he should have been able to plop her down relatively undamaged. i think his insurance company will wish all they payed was a greens fee....there is probably a couple grand damage to the course.

From what I understand people have been trying to shut down Santa Monica airport for awhile.

Will this be the final nail in the closing coffin?

From what I understand people have been trying to shut down Santa Monica airport for awhile.

Will this be the final nail in the closing coffin?
Not likely...when the military deeded the land back to the city after WWII, in the late 40's, it remained (the government) the last word in disposition.

Here's a good article about all that's going on at SMO: Santa Monica Airport closure in 2015 challenged by tenants - LA Times (note the irony of Harrison Ford being one of the main opponents to the "closure" in this article!)

Just saw this article over at FB (thanks for sharing the laugh, Joe!) Apparently, the amateur pilot was not to blame, but his antique World War II plane was

So, according to this "professional" journalist; "Apparently, the amateur pilot was not to blame, but his antique World War II plane was."

My observation here, is that Harrison has logged more hours (over 4,000) as a pilot than this journalist has logged writing articles.

Why didn't the amateur author simply state: "The pilot (or Mr. Ford) was not found to be at fault, instead, the aircraft suffered a malfunction"...or something along those lines.

It almost seems to me that the author was trying to create an air of uncertainty about the pilot or get in a little bit of subtle GA bashing...

I agree, the inference is that "amateur" is not as good as "professional" is it possible to make a living flying such a plane? Most pro pilots are in civil aviation or the military which have nothing to do with an antique tail dragger. From what I have seen and read he did a great job getting it down even if he hadnt been proposed by another member of the club.

Nobody reports "amateur car driver has accident" or "professional truck driver falls asleep". I hope he makes a full recovery and has a laugh at the awful jokes about golfers.

Users who are viewing this thread