Hawker Tempest EJ803. 29/12/44

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

James29

Recruit
Sep 21, 2012
Good morning everyone,

I am looking for information about the combat which took place on 29th December 1944 in the Rheine area around 11am- 11.30am. My grandfather was KIA on this sortie, his name was Fl/Lt Malcolm F Edwards and he was flying Tempest JF-V ,EJ803. The bits I know are from the 3(f) squadron combat reports and the 122 Wing report, but I cannot find any entry of Edwards being claimed. I have recently been to his crash site which is located just outside the town of Spelle, Germany. I met a eyewitness who said that there were 3 a/c and that 1 of them (Edwards) started to sink towards the ground as if he was trying to crash land. He said that the Tempest was not smoking but something was not right. Edwards crashed into moorland next to the rail track just outside Spelle at 11.30 am. The other pilots on this sortie were Fl/Lt K Thiele , F/O K Slade -Betts P/O R Adcock, Fl/Lt M F Edwards. I'd like to try and find out who these 2 other a/c were and if anybody knows how Edwards was killed ?

Many thanks
James Atkinson

Last edited:
Hello James
according to Shores' and Thomas' 2nd Tactical AF, both Edwards and Slade-Betts were shot down by Bf 109s E of Rheine, both were killed.

Juha

Thank you to you both for you help ,

I have managed to get some of the reports of this day and am slowly piecing it all together. Does anyone know how I may be able to check the German records .?

Thanks James

Once again James, the link above well get your request out to people with extensive research data to help you out. The site has several authors and historians who will be happy to help. You'll need to create an account and it may take a few days to get you in but you may find it well worth it.

I agree with CR
first of all Jochen Prien visits the site time to time. He is the main force behind the series "Die Jagdfliegerverbande der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945", which is now on Vol 12/I, which covers the history of several JGn operating in the Eastern Front during mid and late 1943 and had earlier written histories of several JGrn, incl the history of IV./JG 27. That is important because in their earlier work from 1988, The Typhoon and Tempest Story, Thomas, who also sometimes participates discussion on the TOCH board, and Shores atributed the losses of Edwards and Slade-Betts to pilots of IV./JG 27. But in their newer 2nd TAF Vol 2(2005) they didn't name the victors. Maybe the times don't match and the claims were made later of day when IV./JG 27 clashed with Tempests of 56 Sqn and Spitfires. But the TOCH seems to be a place you should try. Tony Wood's claim list from 2003 doesn't help in this case. Also in Murawski's JG 27 Vol. IV there is nothing on this combat.

Juha

Hi ,

I am currently waiting to be accepted into the link that I have been given. Thanks for that by the way.

This is interesting about the change in book the books. Maybe the times do differ I hope I can find out something of this day as it would put a close on it for my family. When I visited the crash site at Spelle I met a eyewitness who saw Edwards come down and said that he wasn't smoking but was trying to crash land. He also said there were two a/c circling the crash, I wonder who these may ave been. As he eyewitness mentions 3 a/c in a row whislt flying and the centre one was Edwards and that's when he stare to sink and crash.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back