He-162 Interior color.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
So what always confounded me was the RLM black Grey 66, since I use Tamiya (it has no small paint equivalent of 66 that I could find in Tamiya) It almost looks black in appearance, would it be fine to mix some RLM 02 with a dark green to acheive a RLM Black Grey hint?

My second question, I always used RLM 02 in the He-162 mainly because I'm partially lazy and its better to see the details in the He-162 ,I've had a passion for this aircraft and I'm kinda a nut for the Tamiya kit (having built like 5 up until now :D) But, would the RLM Grey 02 be suitable for the cockpit area or would it be more suited to mix up a batch of RLM Black Grey 66 as listed in a couple magazines and books on the He?

Thoughts, Your help is greatly appreciated :)

Igor

So what always confounded me was the RLM black Grey 66, since I use Tamiya (it has no small paint equivalent of 66 that I could find in Tamiya) It almost looks black in appearance, would it be fine to mix some RLM 02 with a dark green to acheive a RLM Black Grey hint?

My second question, I always used RLM 02 in the He-162 mainly because I'm partially lazy and its better to see the details in the He-162 ,I've had a passion for this aircraft and I'm kinda a nut for the Tamiya kit (having built like 5 up until now :D) But, would the RLM Grey 02 be suitable for the cockpit area or would it be more suited to mix up a batch of RLM Black Grey 66 as listed in a couple magazines and books on the He?

Thoughts, Your help is greatly appreciated :)

Igor
the 162 in the Canadian national aviation museum is still in factory colours

Its not any more, its being restored, thats the first place I checked :D

Its in the storage wing (or the other hanger) and there pretty strict about who they let view it, the closest show I got of the cockpit was a strange angled view, most of the older paint is now scraped off when I was last there, only the top was still visible, but I need some interior guestimations, I like RLM 02 for the interior cause it isnt dark or morbid like RLM 66

RLM 66 for sure.
Several paints seem to have altered slightly in colour at the latter stages of the war and RLM 66 is one of them. The late war version has a slightly blueish cast to it. I wouldn't involve RLM 02 at all. Find a dark grey and if neccessary add a touch of blue to it.
Cheers
Steve

How about starting out with a basic grey color with a slight blue hue to it? RAF Ocean Grey for example and then add a few drops of black as needed to turn it into something black-grey RLM66-like. Be sure to not overdo it on the black. For scale effect I find a slightly lighter/paler tint (from what you would expect it to be) works best overall

Last edited:
I usually start with a very light color and then work my way up in mixing the colors. I don't really get the effects in the picture above but it works out great (If I'm patient enough to follow through) I might put the He-162 into the next group build so I'm trying to figure out everything before hand :D, thanks all for the help.

Here's some pics of He 162A-2 W.Nr. 120227 pre restoration. (From German Aircraft Interiors 1935-1945, by K.A Merrick)

Attachments

• STA51385.JPG
    STA51385.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 266
  • STA51351.JPG
    STA51351.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 754
  • STA51352.JPG
    STA51352.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 369
  • STA51353.JPG
    STA51353.JPG