Heroes?

Discussion in 'OFF-Topic / Misc.' started by Lucky13, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Lucky13

Lucky13 Forum Mascot

Nightshift picker
    Home Page:
    Just seen some adverst about some programs on History Channel... One was for the old SAS, heroes of yesterday and the other two was Ice Road Truckers and Axe Men?? Made me think, why are these heroes, the old SAS as they said, no dobuts there, but why the truckers and the axe men, to me they're not even close....are they called that just for showing up for work to do their grafting?
    Question that I'm asking here is, is the word HERO used too much today, has the word lost the meaning it once had?

I hope that I'm not stepping someones sore toes here....:oops: :lol:

2. Njaco

Njaco The Pop-Tart Whisperer
    Staff Member Moderator

Animal Control Officer
    A true hero would be the first to tell you he/she is not.

3. evangilder

evangilder "Shooter"
    Staff Member Administrator

Network Engineer/Photographer
    Home Page:
    Someone who does a dangerous job is not necessarily a hero. The military is a great example. There are many guys who do brave things under fire, but that doesn't necessarily make them a hero. There's doing what you are ordered to do well and going above and beyond the call of duty. That is what separates the ordinary from the extraordinary. And the latter being more "heroic".

There is a fine line between self preservation under extreme duress and heroic acts. Anyone who's ever fired a shot in anger can tell you that when the bullets fly, you get the measure of the guys you are with, quickly. And to me, there are too many people that throw that word around without thinking. Audie Murphy- hero, guys who have dangerous jobs- just working guys. And there are professions where getting that label are very easy. Fireman, military members, police officers often get that label. They do happen to be professions that can demand heroic acts, but they are not necessarily heroes.

I'm a good example. I served in the USAF, fired my weapon many times, saw people die, etc. But I'm not a hero. I was just part of a team that were sent places to do dangerous jobs.

I once fixed a toy for my son. In his joy that it was fixed again he said "Daddy, you're my hero". While I was very flattered, I wasn't sure how to react to that.

4. lesofprimus

lesofprimus Active Member

Communications
    Home Page:
    The word Hero has be abused ever since it was created in Greek scrolls...

5. 109ROAMING

109ROAMING Active Member

Agree with the 3 posts above me :thumbleft: a word used to often

6. Wildcat

Wildcat Well-Known Member

Workin' for the man....
    Yup. Especially when the media put the hero tag on sportsmen. Annoys the hell outta me.

7. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Active Member

IT
    Amen to all the above posts. The heros are the first ones to tell you NOT to call them that, that the true heros are the ones who didn't come home. I will append that, myself, to include anyone who willingly puts himself/herself into life-threatening situations to save someone else. Sports figures=not-heros.