History according to random people...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As soon as I saw the V1 described as a rocket I switched off :)

One national newspaper in this country described the Do 17 recovered from Goodwin Sands and now at Cosford as a Nazi jet bomber. The mind boggles. Even a cursory glance at Wikipedia, every lazy journalists friend, would have corrected that misapprehension

Cheers

Steve

... I am starting to get the feeling that as the last people to live through it pass away, it is becoming a free for all for anyone to say the first thing that comes into their head.

I second that feeling. its way prevalent on ww2 gaming forums where there is more erroneous information than correct....

But this is a great thread to read when you have senior moment, brain fart, or other dimwitted episode that makes you feel like an idiot. read a bit and you will see you are A-OK.

As soon as I saw the V1 described as a rocket I switched off :)

One national newspaper in this country described the Do 17 recovered from Goodwin Sands and now at Cosford as a Nazi jet bomber. The mind boggles. Even a cursory glance at Wikipedia, every lazy journalists friend, would have corrected that misapprehension

Cheers

Steve
they don't expend the energy. there was a drug bust years ago where the police found drugs, lots of money, and several SKS-47 machineguns....at that point I quit watching the news for anything other than the sports and the weather..

they don't expend the energy. there was a drug bust years ago where the police found drugs, lots of money, and several SKS-47 machineguns....at that point I quit watching the news for anything other than the sports and the weather..
SKS-47 machineguns?

Is that like California's Attorney General (who should be well informed beyond that of a journalist) referring to rifle magazines as "high capacity assault clips"?

So what do you do with an "assault clip", throw them at people? :lol:

I was only putting my 2 cents in on the subject of the submarine. Despite all this, Lake's machines are at the museum in New Groton, so he must have done something. Methinks. carry on....... :)

Darwin Awards ?
That won't work - "competitors" for these awards have to have a minimum of one brain cell, in order to be able to create the idea, which leads to the act, which ultimately leads to the award of said "Darwin Award".
The individuals 'featured' in the previous examples can't possibly qualify as, collectively, they share the equivalent of half a brain cell between the whole group - and that's being generous on the percentage of the brain cell, the latter not necessarily of human origin !!
And journalists are living proof that lazy Rs bar stewards can, if they really try, string someone else's words together, in a vaguely cogent manner, but totally manipulated to suit the current story, and ensure they have their bonus paid at the end of the month - a total waste of rations, and no use to man or dog !!!

Graeme, these are found on social media (like facebook) for the most part, but I have seen similar comments posted to articles on news sites, like the NY Times, BBC and so on.

For example, on the Telegraph's site, they reported on a man in Kiel, Germany that had WWII military hardware confiscated, including a Flak88 and Panther. The article was fairly informative, but the comments section (found following the article) was certainly interesting.

You can read that here: Second World War tank and anti-aircraft gun found hidden in basement of villa in Germany

Nice toys. ;)
Yes, and I especially love how he used the Panther to help during the great snowstorm of 1978.

Can you imagine being in a ditch and a Panther pulls up to help? While that may have seemed like a blessed relief to any locals, it may have created a flashback or two to any poor Allied veteran stranded in that mess! :lol:

One could also wish the Cretins wold larn ta spoke Anglisha Keerectly. ASSAULT is a noun or a verb NOT an adjective
Bd-9kPxIMAArVud.jpg

One could also wish the Cretins wold larn ta spoke Anglisha Keerectly. ASSAULT is a noun or a verb NOT an adjective

Whilst I agree, it is also true that the term 'assault rifle' is used to describe a particular type of rifle. There are many sub categories of rifle but they all remain rifles.

The term 'assault rifle' is a compound noun, in this case of the noun + noun variety (like toothpaste or sausage roll).

Cheers

Steve

Mostly agree though MY first impression of the Armalite in Vietnam was that the little plastic thing was a BB-gun.
Any who...
A few weeks ago I stopped at Taco Bell for a quick bite to eat. In my billfold is a $50 bill and a $2 bill (the cashiers at my bank keep them for me when they happen to get one). That is all of the cash I have on my person. I figure that with a $2 bill, I can get something to eat and not have to worry about people getting mad at me.
Me: "Hi, I'd like one seven layer burrito please, to go."
Server: "Is that it?"
Me: "Yep."
Server: "That'll be $1.04, eat here?"
Me: "No, it's "TO-GO" [I hate effort duplication]."
At this point I open my billfold and hand him the $2 bill. He looks at it kind of funny and...
Server: "Uh, hang on a sec, I'll be right back."
He goes to talk to his manager, who is still within earshot.
The following conversation occurs between the two of them.
Server: "Hey, you ever see a $2 bill?"
Manager: "No. A what?"
Server: "A $2 bill. This guy just gave it to me."
Manager: "Ask for something else, THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A $2 BILL."
Server: "Yeah, thought so."
He comes back to me and says
Server: "We don't take these. Do you have anything else?"
Me: "Just this fifty. You don't take $2 bills? Why?"
Server: "I don't know."
Me: "See here where it says legal tender?"
Server: "Yeah."
Me: "So, shouldn't you take it?"
Server: "Well, hang on a sec."
He goes back to his manager who is watching me like I'm going to shoplift.
Server: "He says I have to take it."
Manager: "Doesn't he have anything else?"
Server: "Yeah, a fifty. I'll get it and you can open the safe and get change."
Manager: "I'M NOT OPENING THE SAFE WITH HIM IN HERE."
Server: "What should I do?"
Manager: "Tell him to come back later when he has REAL money."
Server: "I can't tell him that, you tell him."
Manager: "Just tell him."
Server: "No way, this is weird, I'm going in back."
The manager approaches me and says
Manager: "Sorry, we don't take big bills this time of night." [it was 8pm and this particular Taco Bell is in a well lighted indoor mall with 100 other stores.]
Me: "Well, here's a two."
Manager: "We don't take *those* either."
Me: "Why the hell not?"
Manager: "I think you *know* why."
Me: "No really, tell me, why?"
Manager: "Please leave before I call mall security."
Me: "Excuse me?"
Manager: "Please leave before I call mall security."
Me: "What the hell for?"
Manager: "Please, sir."
Me: "Uh, go ahead, call them."
Manager: "Would you please just leave?"
Me: "No."
Manager: "Fine, have it your way then."
Me: "No, that's Burger King, isn't it?"
At this point he BACKS away from me and calls mall security on the phone around the corner. I have two people STARING at me from the dining area, and I begin laughing out loud, just for effect. A few minutes later this 45 year old-ish guy comes in and says [at the other end of counter, in a whisper]
Security: "Yeah, Mike, what's up?"
Manager: "This guy is trying to give me some [pause] funny money."
Security: "Really? What?"
Manager: "Get this, a *two* dollar bill."
Security: "Why would a guy fake a $2 bill?"
Manager: "I don't know? He's kinda weird. Says the only other thing he has is a fifty."
Security: "So, the fifty's fake?"
Manager: "NO, the $2 is."
Security: "Why would he fake a $2 bill?"
Manager: "I don't know. Can you talk to him, and get him out of here?"
Security: "Yeah..."
Security guard walks over to me and says
Security: "Mike here tells me you have some fake bills you're trying to use."
Me: "Uh, no."
Security: "Lemme see 'em."
Me: "Why?"
Security: "Do you want me to get the cops in here?"
At this point I was ready to say, "SURE, PLEASE," but I wanted to eat, so I said
Me: "I'm just trying to buy a burrito and pay for it with this $2 bill."
I put the bill up near his face, and he flinches like I was taking a swing at him. He takes the bill, turns it over a few times in his hands, and says Security: "Mike, what's wrong with this bill?"
Manager: "It's fake."
Security: "It doesn't look fake to me."
Manager: "But it's a **$2** bill."
Security: "Yeah?"
Manager: "Well, there's no such thing, is there?"
The security guard and I both looked at him like he was an idiot, and it dawned on the guy that he had no clue. My burrito was free and he threw in a small drink and those cinnamon things, too.
Makes me want to get a whole stack of $2 bills just to see what happens when I try to buy stuff.

The term "Assault Weapon" supposedly refers to a modern military weapon, but by that definition, my 7x57 Mauser is an "Assault Weapon" as it was once the world standard in Military rifles.

I also have a Gladius Iberius, which was at one time in history, the leading edge (no pun intended) of Military weapon technology.

Since the majority of news sources and public sentiment seems to be drawn to "black rifles" as evil, yet ignore same weapon with wood furniture, then perhaps I should replace my Gladius' wood/brass/ivory handle with a poly carbonite handle and the bronze/nickle-silver hilt & pommel with black phosphate counterparts and see where that goes! :evil4:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back