History according to random people...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Boy youse guys, wrong agin. The P-47N with its 305 gal internal and 2-165 gallon wing plus 1-110 gallon belly tank was modified further to carry 114 - 50 gallon drums of extra fuel. Thus California based P-47s could fly attack missions on the Germans at Moscow or Stalingrad then hit secondary targets in Japan and return to London
Mechanics_of_the_333rd_FS_318rh_Fighter_Group_Force_Napalm_into_165_Gallon_Fuel_Tank_P-47.jpg

Mea culpa...I meant to wright the correct Corsabolt model. The inverted gull-wing addition was for barrel attachment.
Youse Guys is soooo picky!!

Not having been in the forum for a while, I am sure the senility of some members has set in...
Everybody knows that the super secret German Me.-U-505 flying sub was the predecessor of the U.S. flying sub as fully documented in the quazi-documentary "Voyage to the bottom to the sea"!

And for our next installment:
A facebook clickbait page titled "15 Rare Abandoned Aircrafts Found Around The Globe" (yes, they said "aircrafts") with a cover photo of this wreck:
image.jpg

The "experts" were quick to identify this wreck.

Robert Wrecked and abandoned B-24 Mitchell !!!

Robert TYPO-- B25 !!!!

Joseph B-24 Liberator. B-25 Mitchell. B-26 Marauder.

Randy Was gonna say Is It a Mitchell but someone allready noticed.

Rick omfg!! if you don't your history stfu.. thats not even a u.s. airplane.. its japanese..

Eric Mitsubishi"Kate";bomber on ain pic?

Christian I've seen this before. It's one of the lost Doolittle raider's

Joseph i saw this wreck in a old episode of transformers...guadacanal 1942

And for extra credit, we have this comment:
Mark if I could find me an aircraft with a V-16 motor in it, I'd be a happy camper, because I could put that motor in my car that I'm building right now.

Yes Mark, we'd love to find a V-16 for an aircraft too...

Anyway, for those who might be wondering, the aircraft pictured is a RNZAF Lockheed PV-1 Ventura (BuNo 34645) NZ4522 that was damaged by flak during a raid on Rabaul, 9 September 1944. The crew managed to make it as far as Talasea, New Britain, where it crash-landed.
Flight Lieutenant Thomas, Flying Officer Shanks, Warrant Officer Millar and Sergeant Budd all survived.

I like the Simon Lake theory but he was a bit late :)

The first definitely credible submarine was built by Dutchman Cornelius Drebbel in 1620, he may well have drawn on the plans of William Bourne from 1578.
Incidentally, when checking the dates for the reign of James I (and VI for any hailing from north of the border), I came across a Wikipedia entry (I know, I know) which managed not to mention one of the defining facts of his reign, that he was a protestant! And we wonder why Halloween is replacing Guy Fawkes/Bonfire night. James I (and VI) reigned from 1603-1625 in case anyone cares.
The first credible military submarine is less clear. By the early 18th century various designs were made and a few even built. The colonial traitor David Bushell designed a one man submarine and the rebels even claimed to have attacked a British ship with it in 1776, only problem is the British have no record of any submarine attack. Maybe a bit of American propaganda?
Another American, Robert Fulton, designed a submarine for the French which did prove capable in tests, but was never tried in anger. Now, however, we are in 1800 and the Napoleonic wars.
The first submarine NOT powered by human power was French again, but you have to wait until 1863 for this. It was absolutely useless too!

Surely Hitler evaded the assassination attempt(s) and escaped to South America.....in a submarine!!!!!!!! I think that the documentary you mention may have been shown on the history channel, where all the best and most accurate historical research is turned into compelling and engaging programmes for our delectation. Even the history channel does get the odd fact right.....errrr.....I mean wrong

Cheers

Steve

Going to write this from memory so.... in any case that Revolutionary war sub was a one-man suc called the Turtle. It was fitted with an external mine which would be attached to the British ship's hull via a screw-type device operated within the Turtle's hull. Unfortunately for the Turtle the British ships copper-plated hull proved impervious to the screw and the mine could not be attached

Well, as a member of the Lake Family Association, we will still hold by the theory that Simon invented that steel tube during out annual meetings. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back