Howdy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Elvis

Chief Master Sergeant
Nov 24, 2007
Little Norway, U.S.A.
I actually started posting here last night, but I suppose I ought to introduce myself.
I'mDean, I'm 44, live near Seattle and have had an interest in aircraft since I can remember.
Although I don't work in the industry, both my father and my older brother did their time in the USAF.
My father had some great stories about the planes he encountered during his hitch, which lasted from the mid 40's to the mid 60's.
We have an airfield over here called Pane Field.
Every year they have an airshow and all the planes used to fly over Mom and Dad's house on the way there.
I swear Dad had a story to tell about each and every one of those planes that flew over.
From riding "space available" in a C-124 ("Ol' Shakey" he'd call it), to watching a P-80 play "catch me if you can" with a whole squardron of P-51's (used to piss 'em off, too! :lol: ).
His stories were the start of my love of aircraft, and especially military aircraft.
From there I just did my own "research".

Anyway, I've lived in this area most of my life and also have an interest in music (I'm a drummer), firearms and the local history of the area I live in (which, after this many years, I'm beginning to become a part of! :shock: )

Elvis

Hi Elvis, glad to see you made it back to this side of the "Pearly Gates" after all these years or were you really hiding out in 'Vegas? Now on the serious side, I just had an idea. Do you think you could get your Dad to sign on and tell some of his stories? :?:

Hi Elvis, glad to see you made it back to this side of the "Pearly Gates" after all these years or were you really hiding out in 'Vegas? Now on the serious side, I just had an idea. Do you think you could get your Dad to sign on and tell some of his stories? :?:
Thanks, nice to be back. ;)
With my Dad, it would be more like he'd tell me and I'd transcribe it to here.
Unfortunately, he died in 1994. :(

Right off hand, I remember him telling me about when he was stationed at Itami air base in Japan and some kid was working on one of the 51's.
Apparently, they had both Allison and R-R powered planes at the base and the throttle controls are reversed, between those two engines.
They must've been doing a tune-up, because the kid started the engine, thinking he had the thorttle set to idle.
...unfortunately, on that plane, the setting he had it at was wide open.
Dad thinks the kid probably panicked for a second and it was just long enough for the plane to pick up its tail and jump the chalks...and "roll" straight into a building that was maybe 50 feet away.
Dad showed me the pics he took of the aftermath . Ew. ;)
The kid was ok and, amazingly, there was only minor damage to the plane (mostly the prop), but it went right through a brick wall and buried almost the whole engine nacele (sp?) inside the office.
Apparently, someone was working in there and heard the plane.
They ducked under their desk just about the time it came crashing through, which pretty much stalled the engine.
I guess the blades missed that person by only a few inches.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.
It's appreciated...and Marcel, its the darndest thing.
I spent all that time in heaven playing my guitar and singing, but when I came back, I was a drummer!
...beats me, too! ;) :D

Elvis

It's appreciated...and Marcel, its the darndest thing.
I spent all that time in heaven playing my guitar and singing, but when I came back, I was a drummer!
...beats me, too! ;) :D

Elvis

We already have some guitarists, myself being one. Now, if one could play the bass, with you as drummer, we'll only need a singer to start our own warbirds band :lol: I believe Adler used to sing in a metal band, but I'm not sure :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back