Is modelling educational?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My post was a bit confusing. I read about a German ace who would get a rookie to fly his plane, it had distinctive markings. The allied pilots would steer clear of the rookie then. The ace would fly the rookies bird. It gave greenhorns a chance to gain combat experience.

My post was a bit confusing. I read about a German ace who would get a rookie to fly his plane, it had distinctive markings. The allied pilots would steer clear of the rookie then. The ace would fly the rookies bird. It gave greenhorns a chance to gain combat experience.

That's some cool info

Just as long as the rookie did not crash the Aces's plane by mistake.

As far as modelling being educational, I think it is in many respects.

The modeller gets a "hands-on" approach to history, often times history that would otherwise be inaccessable, such as a model of the Bismark, one of an Albatros D.III, a 1934 Deusenburg-J and so on. Many times the subject of a model no longer exists and in that respect, the modeller can literally hold in thier hands, something that is lost to living memory, or impractical to visit in person.

The other part of modelling, is the vast majority of modellers have an interest in the subject they are building, and learn the history and the associated history related to that item. Such as a Me262 and how it came about, it's deployment and the way it influenced the jet age after the war.

The people behind the design, development and operation of the subject the model represents is also brought to the modeller during research. Sometimes the modeller meets other modellers with similiar interests, learns new things about thier subject, shares thier knowledge with others, makes new friends, and so on. So the opportunity to open up whole new worlds is possible.

At least, that's the way I see it :)

Anything that helps youngsters get involved in a topic not just aircraft, that makes them build something, learn the skils involved and the patience required, must be educational in some way.
That they then learn the history of whatever it is, why it was designed that way, what development took place to reach that outcome, what materials were used in the build, is an added bonus.

Didn't excpect to get so many replies in this thread! All good ones, I must add.
Wayne, yes, that was Galland's 'spare' 109E, I've got some pics of it somewhere. Think I'm right in saying that the 'Mickey Mouse' was slightly different? But, going back to the educational slant, and staying with Galland; somewhere in the pile of magazines. articles and other paraphenalia that passes for my bedroom, I have some info on one of the the '109F's that Galland used, fitted with wing cannons. Anyone know much about this, and how the 'conversion' was achieved? I'll try to find the bumpf to get the Werke Nummer.

When asked why he liked Mickey Mouse, Galland replied:
"I like Micky Mouse. I always have. And I like cigars, but I had to give them up after the war."

Here's a great photo showing Galland's insignia and it's placement in relation to the cowling/cockpit on an earlier '109 (G-2 perhaps?) and a good image showing Galland's insignias.

Thought they may come in handy for someone's next Galland project :)

Attachments

• galland7_gr.jpg
    galland7_gr.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Galland_Mickey_Mouse.jpg
    Galland_Mickey_Mouse.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 104
Nice shot Dave. That's one of the 'E's' he used, with the telescopic sight through the windscreen. I thought at first it was one of his 'F's', but the top cowling, just ahead of the windscreen, is the giveaway, and the 'blister' on the wing root.

I thought the Germans had given up on telescopic sights for the 109E, obviously not.
Thanks for the picture. Does anyone know when they switched to more sophisticated sights?

The sights weren't a 'standard' fit, and this aircraft still had the Revi sight. Apparently, Galland had a somewhat 'dicky' eye, and had this sight fitted to at least one of his 'E's' and at least one 'F' model. I believe it was a rifle sight, but can't confirm that, and it was field-fitted, off-centre to the starboard side. There was another well-known '109 pilot who also had a similar sight, can't for the life of me remember who, but I have a feeling it might have been Steinhoff. If I find out, I'll let you know.
As to the aiming and shooting, I saw a TV interview with Galland, many years ago, when he explained its use. Apparently, he'd get in close, using the Revi, then switch to the tele-sight, hold the aircraft as still as possible on target, and deliver the coupe de grace. Seemed to work, obviuosly!

Just a quick addition to the above, for Glider. Sorry, I forgot to mention it, but the Luftwaffe fitted reflector sights to their aircraft before WW2. At the time, some of the R.A.F. aircraft still did not have the Reflector Sight Unit Mk1, relying on a ring and bead sight. The Revi sight was developed with the help of information provided by the British; I think it was in 1937 or '38, when a German delegation, including Luftwaffe top brass, visited Britain. Being so proud of our 'new invention', British officials presented the Germans with an actual reflector sight! Sounds a bit like " Here you are, old chap. This might help you to shoot us down a little easier, what?"

Being so proud of our 'new invention', British officials presented the Germans with an actual reflector sight! Sounds a bit like " Here you are, old chap. This might help you to shoot us down a little easier, what?"

Kinda like the first engine used in the Bf 109 prototype. :)

Was it Galland who used to let inexperienced pilots fly his bird so Allied planes would leave him alone?

Erich Hartmann is the pilot in question, whom allowed other pilots to fly his 'Tulip Nose' machine.

When asked why he liked Mickey Mouse, Galland replied:
"I like Micky Mouse. I always have. And I like cigars, but I had to give them up after the war."

Here's a great photo showing Galland's insignia and it's placement in relation to the cowling/cockpit on an earlier '109 (G-2 perhaps?) and a good image showing Galland's insignias.

Thought they may come in handy for someone's next Galland project :)

The shot above is of W.Nr 5819 his regular aircraft, his back up 5966 did not have the Mickey mouse insignia and had a spinner cap while 5819 did not.

...and yes the other individual is Werner moelders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back