Is modelling educational?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi guys. I agree with Lucky that half the fun of modelling is the research. I have made a lot of WW2 aircraft models in the past and often I thought it would be great if I could get into the cockpit of those planes to feel the control stick and observe the instruments. So one day I started to build a Spitfire Mk II b cockpitsection scale 1 : 1. Of course research was essential for that; not only the fraime but also te get the right instruments and other parts.This took a long time. It is great fun and educational for me too. Now I am also working on a T-33 jet cockpit section and a Short Stirling. Possibly later on a Mosquito nose-section, but I still have to do a lot of research about that. Cheers Rijnko.

It was a divorce that brought me to this forum through modelling. :)

I used to model as a kid - mostly 1/35 tank dioramas along with the planes of WWII. My dad was in the AF and had always built models as a kid. In my late teens he and I had a falling out, life took me in different directions, I got married and modelling was something I only remembered doing.

Then trouble in the marriage. As a way of trying to (I hate this term) re-discover myself, I went back to building a few planes. Found a dollar store with some cheap 1/48 Bf 109s, bought the whole lot and was going to do a diarama of an airfield. By the time I finished my 3d plane I was divorced. My dad helped me and we reconnected. We both started to model and talk and buy and paint and quick to show each other how the P-16 was doing, or what was the right yellow on the tail fin or look at the Squadron decals I just got! Getting back into it I found that I had to get camos and colors right so that led to reasearch. I started buying books. As many as I could. Good one, poor ones, unknown ones at yard sales. My library grew.

At some point I was frustrated that I couldn't find a decent timeline for events in the Luftwaffe (my favorite area of WWII planes). So I decided to write a book, a day by day account. I started to gather info and it turned into a monster. Books and libraries and internet. Me and my dad built lots of planes the last 12 years and we always bought each other modelling gifts at appropriate times. And my little book grew and grew.

My father passed away 4 years ago and the last few years with him were the best. And while researching on the net for my book I came across this forum. While I had checked out other forums, this one was more friendly (and that was after I read some of Les' posts!) and the knowledge was fantastic. So here I am. Modelling definately has changed my life for the better, allowed me to meet new friends and on an emotional level its relaxing and kinda is a way to stay in touch with my dad.

Same time next week Doctor? :)

very interesting Im must say

I look upon modeling of A/C in this vein, plastic as detailed or not as it can be is a perfect avenue for profile and research work as in many many cases a researcher does not have the amount of photos desired to give a true picture of what a Allied/Axis plane(s) may have looked like in a combat situation. in the real sense photos in most cases are at 1/4r angle with them sitting on a field or possible front 1/4r and if lucky a profile in the air and much too far away to pick up certain details

Rip it up !

I think its not just educational but also better for you ,frame of mind wise

like when I've felt really down in the past I've went and took a look at my models and 70% of the time they give me that humble feeling like they cheer me up in a way noone else could

just adds to the reasons for modelling I guess

Thanks for those latest replies, Njaco, Erich, Daniel and Rijnko. it seems we all have similar views. Sorry to hear about your Dad, Njaco.
Erich, it's interesting to hear of your views re. reserach and profiles etc., I find it the same, for my paintings etc. Rijnko, would love to see some pics of your cockpits, when you can.
Thanks again guys.
Terry.

Hi Terry,
Couldn't place a picture here(URL-http?), so I have one of the Spitsection put on the Picture Album under Interiors and cockpits. Cheers Rijnko.

Another thing for me and this has nothing to do with fighting on the "right" or "wrong" side. But, sometimes it feels like it is my own little personal tribute to these people, people that flew that aircraft or tank that you're building at that moment, and their memories... In any way you cut it, they all fought what they believed in and their country.

Nicely put, Jan. I think I possibly opened this thread in a similar vein. I certainly feel, most of the time, depending on an individual model, that the finished item represents some sort of 'monument' (for want of a better description). With the research undertaken, and an accurate representation produced, you have a little piece of history, in miniature, and 3D.
Although it's not my 'stated aim' when making a model, I'd like to think that, in the future, models from where ever will help to describe the equipment used at the time depicted by the model, and therefore help future generations to understand the history more easily and clearly.

Another Good reason why I model

Well with trying to cope growing up in a world with so few of the Nicities of the past,having a few models on your desk certainly helps you

It kills me everytime I see a black and white photo of a bunch of WW11 aircraft about to be melted down,truely feels like it's killing me

If I can't have the real thing at least I have a model!

my 2 cents worth, I've built over 150 models of various airplanes, love the research that goes with them. While i am not big on specific pilots aircraft, I like reading about where they were used, why particular paint shemes ect. every plane also has a story with it, who the pilot is his war record...

i made up a character,( someday will write a novel about him) and have tried to build every plane he would have flown and fought against. obviously a big endeavoer.

That's a cool Idea

I'm gonna copy you and do that for Adolf Galland

Build a couple of his E's,F's and G's the do about 2 of his Me-262

Did he fly any other variant of the 109?

109C/D in spain?

Same here... I'm concentrating on pilots with Swedish or Scandinavian heritage mostly, like Bong, Anderson, Peterson, Hanson, Foss, the two USS Yorktown, CV-5 and CV-10 and also machines with the number 13 of course. Have a few decal sets lying around for a few 109's and 190's, but not yet any for the allied?

That's a cool Idea

I'm gonna copy you and do that for Adolf Galland

Build a couple of his E's,F's and G's the do about 2 of his Me-262

Did he fly any other variant of the 109?

109C/D in spain?

Picked up a book today that had a series of photo's of another Bf109E-4 W.Nr.5966
flown by Galland that is new to me!:D

Most likely his back-up aircraft when not flying his usual W.Nr.5819

Haha even though that's sad ,I think it's funny

I've just finished reading his autobiography for the second time and no mention of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back