Italaerei Me 321 Gigant

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So I'm in the last decent Hobby store in the entire city of Vancouver BC picking up some paints and other stuff and looking for something to stuff into the Me-321. Picked out this. Hasegawa 1:72 scale Sd.Kfz 251-9 Stummel, was hoping they had an 88 to go with it but no. Anyways, this is the first armour kit I've built in probably 30 plus years. Did it over the weekend, stuffed this sucker full of lead as well but I doubt it will be enough to stop the 321 from being a butt planter.

stummel%20007_zpsu3orhmeb.jpg

stummel%20012_zpswtfjvmgu.jpg

I may end up white washing the stummel for winter camo. According to the instructions in the Me 321 version I'm doing it was (can) be white washed for winter. Me thinks that would be an interesting look.

Good idea, the winter wash.
I think on a big bird like that, a thin layer of diluted white/very, very light grey paint might be sufficiant. It will have the RLM 70/71 bleed thru.
I once read an article where the builder used 0000 steel wool to wear the winter wash down. This ended up looking very realistic.

Also on the Skdf, don't worry to much about the winter camo. In many cases the vehicles were loaded and shifted asap to the place where they were needed in the camo the wore at that moment. Once they arrived, camo was changed at unit level. I've seen loads of pics where "panzermen" are aplying winter wash from a bucket in the field with a paintbrush or even a broom.

So I'm in the last decent Hobby store in the entire city of Vancouver BC...

So sad, the closest store that has a "good" supplies for scale model's is in Hamilton, 70km away from me. For a real store that has a good selection of models, tools and other supplies i have to drive 120km to the east side of Toronto... I try to make it out once a year and stock up.. They also ship which is a great service but sometimes its nice to just go in and look around.

So sad, the closest store that has a "good" supplies for scale model's is in Hamilton, 70km away from me. For a real store that has a good selection of models, tools and other supplies i have to drive 120km to the east side of Toronto... I try to make it out once a year and stock up.. They also ship which is a great service but sometimes its nice to just go in and look around.
The few Hobby shops that are still around mostly cater to RC stuff. A good friend on mine worked at his Uncles Hobby store that he had since the early 60's and caterred mostly to the model railroad crowd. Closed up about 10 years ago. The only upside was he gave me all the 1:72 scale Luftwaffe kits I could carry out of the store.There have been so many that have closed over the last decade. The last place I used to deal with stopped carying Testors Modelmaster RLM colours because like the guy said, I'm the only one that buys them and I heard that Testors is actually going to discontinue that line. I hope not, I don't like acrylics and I especially don't like mixing them to get a specific colour. I don't know if it's a dying hobby or if more people are just buying stuff on line but it's a huge PIA to have to drive from one side of the city to the other to get a bottle of paint !!

Got some free time and back to the monster. I was'nt sure how I would go about painting an aircraft with no panel lines or rivets but I wanted to show the effect of a cloth skin so I just darkened the lowere areas between ribs.

101_2303_zpsvedqg38l.jpg

The splinter camo applied 70/71 topside 65 underside. The decals were a bust so I ended up using bits and pieces from other sheets and ended up painting the lettering on.

101_2311_zpsdh2ztgt3.jpg

me321%20026_zps1zixop0o.jpg

I had decided early on I wanted this to have winter campaign white out or wash and I looked at so many examples of how it was done and went with this,

me321%20034_zpsuggbli8c.jpg

Now the daunting task of fixing up 8 teeny little Walter rockets and their mounting brackets. This kit has a ton of small finecky parts, neary every trim tab wieght I broke off from handling. I eventually made them out of wire and glued them into holes I drilled.

It was surprising that camouflage. :shock:
I liked the paint job you used. Looks pretty !!

Saludos cordiales Bustedwing :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back