Italaerei Me 321 Gigant

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In Post #22, in the second pic, top right hand side, it looks like there is only one door, opening outward (i.e away from the cockpit), with a central handle operating latches that locate into lugs on the starboard side bulkhead. The door gives the impression of being the same width as the opening, and I suspect the bulkhead and door combination acted as the seat backs - that is, the seats were pans only, presumably to accept seat-type parachutes (?). If that's the case then the harness and back-pad of the parachute would be acting as a seat-back padding.

No worries, I'm apparently a bigger dolt ! After looking at the pictures you posted a dozen or so times I never even really noticed the door so I swaped it over to double doors before I had read any further posts. Kind of looks better I think but I'll re do it with the one door.

me321%20008_zpsxveq0pyq.jpg

Well the cockpit is done. Added a few little bits and pieces but otherwise as accurate as I can find. A word of warning to the queamish, this kit is a bear, tons of teeny teeny parts that almost always break as you try to cut them fom the tree and the instructions do little in helping placing the parts. Getting the interior steel frame to line up is a horror show to say the least. If you want to discourage some one from building Models this is the kit for you !!

me321%20015_zpsd7sydkv5.jpg

me321%20014_zps19jfwuvk.jpg

Well the cockpit is done. Added a few little bits and pieces but otherwise as accurate as I can find. A word of warning to the queamish, this kit is a bear, tons of teeny teeny parts that almost always break as you try to cut them fom the tree and the instructions do little in helping placing the parts. Getting the interior steel frame to line up is a horror show to say the least. If you want to discourage some one from building Models this is the kit for you !!

Really? Bummer...

Yeah it's going to be a cool bird when it's done. If you ever take this one on a few things. Part numbers are either wrong or there are typos in the instructions so test fit everything first. Also look very closely at the instructions as vague as they are to referance where parts connect. There are very fine raised lines where things like flap actuators etc should be mounted along with the RATO pods. They are very fine and easilly sanded off. Use a pin vise to drill small indents or holes to mark them so they can be found later. There's lots of very fine and small parts. I've taken to clipping the trees apart before using an exacto knife to free the parts from the tree. Had a few parts explosions leaving me searching the floor !!

Despite the issues, you're doing a great job. It'll be impressive when it's all buttoned up and painted. For small parts on a sprue, I cut them off using a small razor saw. No breakage and no pings.

So just how big is it ?? Well stand back and I will show you !

me321%20022_zpsbsnpxlzg.jpg

me321%20020_zps6lhapqa6.jpg

Last night I got the center wing section done and it dawned on me IT'S HUGE. I put my 109 in the pics to give an idea of scale. I have the out board sections of the wings to finnish yet and with a bit of luck and free time I may be able to start blowing some paint on it this weekend. The canopy is vacu formed and needs a bit of cleaning up to fit as with the panel that fills in the back of the wings to the fuselage, it's not very convincing looking for a rag and tube so it needs a bit of help. Does'nt fit that great either. Onward !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back