Italian Stuka - From the Hasegawa kit in 1:32.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For a very inexpensive vacuform you probably already have most of what you need. A simple cloths iron can supply the heat. A vacuum cleaner the vac. A wooden box with holes drilled in the top and a large hole on the side to fit the vac hose should be well within most modelers' abilities. That just leaves the frame for holding the plastic, simply buy a window screen frame replacement kit ( about eight dollars). Make the frame slightly bigger than the top of the box (need 2 of these). Use binder clips to hold the plastic between the 2 screen frames. Put a bead of silicone around the top of the box and you're ready to go. I'll post some pics of the simple one soon.

Thanks to all for your comments.
My vacu-form box is very simple. I will try to take some photos tomorrow and post them.
Alberto

Thanks to all for your comments.
My vacu-form box is very simple. I will try to take some photos tomorrow and post them.
Alberto

OK, here are the pictures:

The box
DSCN1658.JPG
DSCN1659.JPG

the upper grill

DSCN1660.JPG

the funnel

DSCN1664.JPG

suction inlet

DSCN1661.JPG
DSCN1662.JPG

the frame, plastic sheet side

DSCN1665.JPG

A modification is in order for the frame: I intend to add four rectangular plates, fixed with screws, to be used to hold in place the plastic sheet. At the moment I use double sided tape but it doesn't work well.

Overall dimensions in millimeters are 210 x 200 x 195 height (130 the chamber and 65 the supports)

If anybody wants to make something similar, I first suggest to start purchasing the windows frame suggested above and dimension everything consequently. Then I think that 130 mm are too much: 50-60 mm should be enough and help suction.
Cheers
Alberto

Painting is unfortunately problematic, due to the low temp outside, so I'm progressing very slowly (let say I can do some only when my wife is away from home and this doesn't happen very frequently ...)

By the way, I show a couple of fresh shots:
DSCN1689.JPG
DSCN1690.JPG
DSCN1691.JPG
DSCN1692.JPG
DSCN1693.JPG

Also shown is the repainted and "future treated" vacu-formed canopy piece.

On the Stuka pictures you will notice I've used some violet masking tape
This is a recent discovery, at least for myself.
It's made by a company called Storch STORCH - Alle Malerwerkzeuge und Gerte fr Profi-Bedarf
It works well as the most famous yellow one but it cost less then 1/2, at least here in Italy.
Cheers
Alberto

I also found how photos can be helpful, look here:
DSCN1693 rev.jpg

that window frame should be straight, not bent but I didn't realized that until I saw my picture.
Already corrected!
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back