Junkers Ju87 B-2, S7+KH, Libya, 1942 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks fellas, I'm at a bit of a crossroads with this build now. I have scribed the panel-lines and sanded the exagerated rivets down a bit on the fuselage and wings.

The cockpit and engine are fitted and the fuselage halves are glued. There was an awful seam all along the fuselage, top and bottom. I filled them with putty and let dry. I sanded the seams, but i've lost a lot of the rivet detail on the top and bottom of the fuselage now.

I don't know whether to sand the whole thing down again, wings tail-planes the lot to remove all the rivet detail and rescribe the panel-lines. Or try and do something about replacing the lost rivet detail (I've seen this done, it involves drilling lots of holes and glueing lots of little bits of stretched sprue into the holes and trimming them down) or just leave it as is. :-k

You could do flush rivets, by embossing with a pounce wheel Keith. 'Little Cars' do them, and I've also very recently seen a rivet 'maker' on a website, I think from Dragon, of all people, at a reasonable price (for a modelling tool !). I think the site was either Model Hobbies, or Net Merchants, ove the border from you. I didn't look closely, but this might have been a wheel too.
If you're happy with the rest of it, I'd just do the top and bottom where the detail has been lost. Bear in mind that, even on the 'chunky' JU87, many of the panel lines and rivets would only be seen very close up.

^ :D

I'll check out those sites Terry, the company I got the scriber from in the States do those riveting wheels too.

I just watched a video on youtube, that baldy australian bloke is at it again, this time rivetting a 1/32 109. He used MDC's riveting tool. It looks handy to use so I just bought one!

I'll let you all know how I get on with it. So until it arrives this build is on hold.

I'm going to start the P-40 what-if build.

Be interested to see what the tool looks like and how it works out Keith. Looking forward to your WIB P40 too !

Thanks Keith, good link. It's like a very small centre punch I used to use years ago for doing a similar thing, although I'd guess a lot more accurate, especially with the metal guide.

Did a bit on the build yesterday morning that didn't involve rivets...

The engine cowling air intake(???) exhaust is closed, so I opened it up.

SL380015.gif

SL3800161.gif

Also painted the MG15.

SL380017.gif

Thanks fellas, I'm at a bit of a crossroads with this build now. I have scribed the panel-lines and sanded the exagerated rivets down a bit on the fuselage and wings.

The cockpit and engine are fitted and the fuselage halves are glued. There was an awful seam all along the fuselage, top and bottom. I filled them with putty and let dry. I sanded the seams, but i've lost a lot of the rivet detail on the top and bottom of the fuselage now.

I don't know whether to sand the whole thing down again, wings tail-planes the lot to remove all the rivet detail and rescribe the panel-lines. Or try and do something about replacing the lost rivet detail (I've seen this done, it involves drilling lots of holes and glueing lots of little bits of stretched sprue into the holes and trimming them down) or just leave it as is. :-k

You might try these:

Mike Grant Decals - Rivets (1 each dark gray, silver) #RVTS

http://www.mikegrantdecals.com/Rivets.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back