Kittyhawk for Lucky 13

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
P-40N A29-572 served with No.78 Squadron on Noemfoor Island in late 1944. The scheme is based on a photo showing Sgt. D A Smyth about to take off on a dive bombing mission. The "Lucky 13" was written as a temporary marking, possibly for one mission. The cowling with "Watch my form" has been photographed on more than one P-40 and has pale blue lower surfaces. Modellers may add lighter pink highlights to the womans body. Spinner is white with a black cap.

Attachments

• l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,496
  • l4.jpg
    l4.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,450
  • l3.jpg
    l3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,496
  • l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 852
Here she is being touched up.

Note the now permanent 'Lucky 13' and shading to the body. Different letter font and no exclamation.

Well actually, that's a completely different rendition. WhatdoyouthinkAndy?

Cheers

Attachments

• watch my form.jpg
    watch my form.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 942
Last edited:
Here she is being touched up.

Note the now permanent 'Lucky 13' and shading to the body. Different letter font and no exclamation.

Well actually, that's a completely different rendition. WhatdoyouthinkAndy?

Cheers

Interesting Pete. The pic I posted shows HU-N which was the second aircraft to carry the nose art after A29-527 bellied in. They simply swaped the cowl panel over. Your pic possibly shows a third aircraft??

Interesting Pete. The pic I posted shows HU-N which was the second aircraft to carry the nose art after A29-527 bellied in. They simply swaped the cowl panel over. Your pic possibly shows a third aircraft??

Well A29-572 was the second aircraft to carry the cowl. Here's a pic of the first from History of RAAF No.78 Kittyhawk Fighter Squadron page 2

It's been reported that the pic you posted was of A29-558, so the new rendition was possibly a forth. The Lucky 13 tag was proving anything but! Incidentally the next aircraft in the lineup is 'Black Magic' HU-E A29-575, another famous RAAF P-40.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• watch my form early.jpg
    watch my form early.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 806
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back