Lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
The Avro Lancaster entered service with the RAF in 1942 and became one of the most successful night bombers of the war. The Lancaster was also used by Argentina, Australia, Canada, Egypt, France, New Zealand, and No 300 Polish Squadron.

There were several adaptations of the Lancaster including the Upkeep 'bouncing bomb' special for the Dambuster raid, and versions made to carry the Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs.

The Lancaster was armed with 8 x 7.7 mm machine guns in 3 turrets, and 14,000 lb of bombs as standard. A single Tallboy bomb of 12,000 lb, Grand Slam of 22,000 lb, or Upkeep of 9,250 lb were carried in the Special versions.

BI of the Argentine Air Force 1948.

B1_Argentina_1.png

BI of 12 Squadron RAF 1942.

B1_GB_12Sqn_1.png

Thanks - Still working on these, and also realising the huge amount of changes made for the Special versions.... :shock:

Front turret removed and faired over.

Upper turret removed and faired over.

Bomb-bay doors removed, special release installed, parts of the bomb-bay faired over.

Then you can go for the Grand Slam 22,000 lb version:

BI Special of 617 Squadron RAF 1945.

B1S_GB_617Sqn_1.png

Thanks!

I have of course, yet to do the Dambuster Special - And I'm digging around to clarify things before I start modding the drawing...

I found a photograph of the mechanism here:

1943+dambusters+02.jpg (image)

So, here's what I'm trying to find out:

a) Is there a belt and a chain connected to the bomb? If so are these only present on the starboard side?

b) The 'belts' look hugely different in size and strength, so presumably the most further forward (thin) one is not the drive motor to spin the bomb?

c) The 'V' brackets - are they inside or outside the fuselage skin? Looking at drawings it seems they are attached up inside the bomb-bay and drop down through where the doors used to be - so they should be inside the skin... but can't see this on any photograph....

d) Finally - Is it a B1 Special or B3 Special? I am lost on this one... I have seen it referred to as both, but the photo shows a long row of small windows, which means B1... I think...?

Clave, looking at this Dutch (?) website it appears to have the same photo you posted above but a little clearer. It shows the inverted V brackets outside the fuselage and the drive belt extending forward towards the nose of the plane:
Aeropedia / Upkeep de Bouncing Bomb

Then looking at this linked site from the one above it has a simple drawing of how a SINGLE belt was used to spin the bomb...with the inverted V brackets opening for the release:
dambusters

I may certainly be posting information you already have but I do hope it may be helpful in some small way.
I used ot have an '80's aircraft WWII aircraft book with great detailed schematics of a Mosquito with a spherical spinning bomb but my brother took that. :(

Regards,
Derek

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back