Local photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great pictures of your country side and family nuuumannn, looks like a lovely even if remote part of the South Island. I was interested to see your picture of the War Memorial and the location in which Private Ham died. I'm assuming it was Ismailia in Egypt, a place I often visited as a child with my parents when he was stationed in Egypt prior to the Suez crisis.

Nice to know you are back at work even if only part time, back problems can be so problematic and painful. I take it with the picture of the couple of Dash 8s, you must work on aircraft and possibly for Air New Zealand.

Those early morning shots are just great, but for goodnes sake, kill the chuck!!!!!!!!!!

I was interested to see your picture of the War Memorial and the location in which Private Ham died. I'm assuming it was Ismailia in Egypt, a place I often visited as a child with my parents when he was stationed in Egypt prior to the Suez crisis.

Hi Vic, regarding Pvt Ham, when I first visited the memorial I knew nothing about him, but I've done a bit of searching and he is buried in the war memorial cemetery in Ismailia, as you suspected. His full name was William Arthur Ham of the Canterbury Regiment of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force that sailed to Egypt on the ANZAC Convoy; he died of injuries after attack in the Suez Canal area on 5 February 1915. He is often listed as being a local of Motueka, the nearest town to us about 15 miles away, but was from Ngatimoti.

As for the chook, yep. need to get the blasted chainsaw out! Only thing is, we have a great relationship with our neighbour - that might suffer if they found out we killed their rooster! The water pistol sems to be working!

Work wise, I'm a line maintenance engineer with Air New Zealand domestic subsidiary Air Nelson, which operates 23 Q300s. That's our hangar at Nelson Airport. Us linies only work nights.

Cheers!

Well, Howdy again folks; we recently played host to friends of ours from the UK who are traveling around New Zealand, so we thought we'd take them to some local sights. First up, the Nelson Lakes. These are situated about an hour and a half's drive from our place and are a busy tourist spot in the summer season. The local town is called St Arnaud and it gets mobbed by campervans and midges, or sandflies, that eat you alive if you're not careful. Luckily it's winter and it's quite chilly, so no midges or campervans.

This is Rotoiti, or Small lake. Even in summer the water is a bit baltic; on a previous visit we went swimming, but not this time.

NelsonLakes52012008s.jpg

NelsonLakes52012007s.jpg

NelsonLakes52012010s.jpg

NelsonLakes52012021s.jpg

Note the "No Fishing" sign.

NelsonLakes52012006s.jpg

The lake is inhabited by giant eels, which are quite friendly.

NelsonLakes52012003s.jpg

Lots of 'em.

NelsonLakes52012017s.jpg

The duck lends scale. They average a metre in length.

NelsonLakes52012016s.jpg

My daughter eel spotting.

NelsonLakes52012018s.jpg

Although you can't fish for them here, they also live in the river down from mine and our neighbour has brought smoked eel over that he's caught. Very tasty!

This is Rotoroa, or Long Lake. Not so well populated by tourists; it's about a half hour drive away from Rotoiti, but picturesque nevertheless.

NelsonLakes52012028s.jpg

NelsonLakes52012030s.jpg

NelsonLakes52012031s.jpg

The next day we took the girls over Takaka Hill into the upper Tasman region. It's about two hours drive north of us. This panoramic view is taken from near the top of Takaka Hill at around 3,000 ft and looks north west into the Kahurangi National Park and over towards Golden Bay in the distance. In the late 60s and early 70s a lot of communes were set up in the area and some of the 'New Age' types have stayed on. It's no surprise that Police helicopters often patrol the hills around these parts for non-native foliage that can only be seen from up high...

Tasman52012002s.jpg

Just outside of the town of Takaka is the Waikoropupu spring. In the days of yore it used to be a gold mine, but has been preserved since its waters, according to the blurb, are the second clearest in the world. Although it says not to touch the water, I couldn't resist dipping my hands in and taking a sip. The depth of the spring is 3 metres in parts and is so clear, the bottom looks only feet away.

Tasman52012009s.jpg

Originally I wanted to take the picture with my daughter running away down the path with the sign in the foreground, but my wife said it was tempting fate too much, so I settled for this...

Tasman52012011s.jpg

This rather imposing monolith is the Abel Tasman Memorial at the southern edge of Golden Bay, the place where Tasman first encountered New Zealand. When he first got here, he had an unfortunate meeting with the natives, whose aggressive behaviour frightened the Dutchman away, so he didn't stay long. Thing was, the natives weren't being aggressive, just their way of saying hello is dancing about in formation and waving what looks to a weary European sailor to be a weapon of war about vigorously!

Tasman52012014s.jpg

The plaque at the base of the monument.

Tasman52012019s.jpg

The southern edge of Golden Bay. Named after a gold rush back in the late 1800s, the name is still appropriate as land prices are very high here. A number of international celebs have homes out this way, including Shania Twain. Apparently Lee Atwood of North American Aviation was a keen huntin' shootin' fishin' kinda guy and regularly visited New Zealand.

Tasman52012015s.jpg

Golden Bay looking north. At the farthest spit of land is Cape Farewell, a 15 mile sand spit off which the very first mine field in New Zealand waters was laid. This was done by the German Commerce raider Wolf in 1917. Wolf's voyage was quite a tale; the ship was the first to carry a seaplane (a Friedrichshafen FF 33E, in case you're wondering) and sank a huge amount of tonnage. Anyhoo, only recently was the last time that one of Wolf's mines washed ashore, in either 2006 or 2008, if I can remember correctly.

Tasman52012016s.jpg

We really like this area and haven't done much exploring, but we are going to. What tends to keep tourists away is the rather steep and wyndy drive up Takaka Hill, but it's really not that bad. We want to go tramping along Farewell Spit in the near future. I'll keep you posted.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back