London Museums? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
Me and my wife just booked a week in London in June. Obviously I want to check out the RAF Henden museum and the Imperial War Museum.

Last time I was in London, was back in 1996.

So my question to you all is (especially those that live in England), what other museums are there that are worth checking out?

Last one I visited was the Victoria and Albert museum, about 4 months ago. There was a good exhibition running on art design in the Cold War, some interesting military objects and architecture amongst other things - I don't think that will be running by June though.

Amongst the 'standard' collection, of course are paintings, sculpture, furniture, antique firearms, musical instruments, all kinds of stuff. Worth a free (!) visit if you're into any of that stuff - be warned though, a day can just vanish in there!

You have mentioned the two main ones. In addition you have the ones that Rochie and BT have mentioned. On top of this there is the Science Museum (haven't been for years) which apparently good.

For more WW2 oriented there is the IWM HMS Belfast and the Cabinet War Rooms, both are worth a visit but won't take you nearly as long as Hendon on the main IWM building.

For more WW2 oriented there is the IWM HMS Belfast and the Cabinet War Rooms, both are worth a visit but won't take you nearly as long as Hendon on the main IWM building.

Not sure if I am going to go into the Belfast. I will certainly take a few pics of it. The Cabinet War Rooms certainly is a must us I think.

Dont miss the Science Museum. Its not as well laid out as it used to be and has to many new hand on exhbits. But has quite a few important aircraft.

Science Museum - Online Stuff

This should help your decision.

museums london - Google Maps

A week in London though?:(

If London was a girl you might stay the night but wouldn't introduce her to your mum.

Might want to cruise up the Thames and visit Hampton Court Palace.

The Museums in London are varied and spectacular.. The Imperial War Museum, the British Museum where the early civilization displays and the Rosetta Stone (extracted from Napolean) sits, Albert Victoria and the Natural History Museum on Knightsbridge, and the Art Museum off Trafalgar Square. Stop at Harrods on the way to A&V and Natural History museums.

All are a reasonable cab ride from Mayfair - actually walking distance for most of the above.

You would need a focused and dedicated week to do more than scratch the surface.

The subterranean War Room HQ for Churchill is close to 10 Downing - a worthwhile look if you have enough time.

The Brits on this forum should be more informed than me but the above are my favorites..

The Louvre, Prado, Royal, Heritage and Smithsonian are my favorite in the world.

Thanks guys. This will actually be my 3rd time in London, but the first time I am spending more than 2 days in the city.

If you have the time, and want a break from the City Chris, you could get to Duxford. By road, depending on route/traffic, it's about a one and a half to two hour journey. There is a train service to Cambridge, another beautiful and historic city, and transport from Cambridge to Duxford airfield. Be warned though, it could take the best part of a day just to see the American Museum at Duxford; to visit the whole site properly, it's best to allow 1 to 2 days. You could, of course, stay over in Cambridge, or near Duxford, for a night. Just a thought, whilst you're relatively close to the place.
Terry.

If you have the time, and want a break from the City Chris, you could get to Duxford. By road, depending on route/traffic, it's about a one and a half to two hour journey. There is a train service to Cambridge, another beautiful and historic city, and transport from Cambridge to Duxford airfield. Be warned though, it could take the best part of a day just to see the American Museum at Duxford; to visit the whole site properly, it's best to allow 1 to 2 days. You could, of course, stay over in Cambridge, or near Duxford, for a night. Just a thought, whilst you're relatively close to the place.
Terry.

I would love to make it to Duxford, but I know we will not make it. We are not going to rent a car on this trip.

If you want something a little different, try

A) The Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood.
Your never too old to be a big kid at heart.

B) The London Transport Museum. I haven't seen it since the rebuild but the old one was pretty interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back