Looking for German nightfighter operations stuff.....

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Ascent, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Ascent

Ascent Member

I wonder if anyone out there can help me? I'm wondering if anyone has good links or can recommend good books where I can find out about the German nightfighter system?

I'm interested in the whole thing, ground control, how the aircraft operated, capabilities of the radars and aircraft, what happened if they were spotted by an aircraft they were stalking, how easy was it to locate and destroy a bomber?

I know some basics, I know the British used countermeasures and nightfighter intruders operating in the bomber streams, I know about the upward firing guns (not going to embarrass myself by mis-spelling the name) but find I don't really know how things were orgsanised or operated.

This is just for a personal project. I'm not after being told, just guided to where I can find the answers.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. tomo pauk

tomo pauk Creator of Interesting Threads

Westerman's doctoral thesis contains, among the Flak as a main theme, a good part about the night fighters operations since both were a part of Reich defense. The full title is "Flak: German Anti-Aircraft Defenses 1914–1945", free download: www.theblackvault.com/documents/ADA380153.pdf
    The another book is the 'Nachtjaeger - Luftwaffe night fighter units' of 'Luftwaffe colours' series, where, especially in the part one, is discussed about the organization of the LW NF system.

Of course, there is quite a number of other books around, other people will surely chime in.

• Like Like x 3
  3. stona

stona Well-Known Member

Theo Boiten's Nachtjagd War Diaries, two volumes, if you can find them without mortgaging your house or selling a kidney.

More modestly Nachtjagd-The Night Fighter Versus Bomber War Over the Third Reich, 1939-45 by the same author.

Foreman and Parry, Luftwaffe Nightfighter Combat Claims. Most useful in conjunction with data from Bomber Command's side of the campaigns.

Boiten and Bowman's Battles with the Nachtjagd.

There are many more. I haven't mentioned some older publications.

Cheers

Steve

4. Balljoint

Balljoint Member

Manager
  5. parsifal

parsifal Well-Known Member

Urban Design/Strategic Studies Tutor
    #5 parsifal, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Our own Erich is encyclopaedic on German Nightfighter unit histories. not sure how his book is travelling, but if can catch up to him, worth a chat

Ive got an old book simply called "Night Fighter" I forget the author (will edit tonite) writes up a really good comparison between LW and RAF night fighter operations, to highlight the differences, and goes into systems and procedures in a lot of detail

Edit

The book is "Night Fighters - A development and Combat History" by Bill Gunston, with a Foreword by Gp Capt John Cunningham

6. GregP

GregP Well-Known Member

Electrical Engineer, Aircraft Restoration
    Hey Tomo,

Not sure where you find this tuff, but you came up with a very nice link yet again.

Thanks yet again!

7. mhuxt

mhuxt Active Member

There's also Gebhard Aders' "History of the German Night Fighter Force". Would stay away from the Foreman / Parry book - it passes into the reals of fantasy, probably better just to chase down the latest link to Tony Woods' lists of Luftwaffe claims.

8. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

Boiten's "Battles with the Nachjagd" is more of a operations diary with recollections of many of the participants. It doesn't really get into the other information being sought. Unfortunately, I can't recommend a good book covering the wide range of topics requested.

9. stona

stona Well-Known Member

Aders is very dated but does include some useful stuff on the development and organisation of German night fighters. It was first published back in the '70s and is one I didn't include for that reason.

Foreman and Parry do not pass into the realms of fantasy and it is unfair to suggest they do. I repeat that their information is best taken in the context of known British losses.

Cheers

Steve

10. tomo pauk

tomo pauk Creator of Interesting Threads

You may want to thank parsifal, he mentioned the author in the thread about Flak years ago.

11. parsifal

parsifal Well-Known Member

Urban Design/Strategic Studies Tutor
    Thanks Tomo. Ive got nthe comercial version of that book, Its alled "Flak - German AA Defences , 1914-45 University Press Kansas 2001.

Haywards Book "Stopped At Stalingrad" might be worth a glance as well, for operations on the Eastern Front.

Ive never seen much about NF ops in the MTO. Maybe not much happened......

12. mhuxt

mhuxt Active Member

#12 mhuxt, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Sorry Steve, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. The Mossie claims they report for '45 are little short of hysterical, including one from a pilot who'd perished more than a week earlier, the 219 victories were so inaccurate that the fellow who did the "He 219 - A Research Paper" had to go back and re-do the thing, and Theo Boiten had to discard them as a source / cross-check for his Nachtjagd War Diaries. There was some suggestion, IIRC over on the old Luftwaffe Experten board, that the source data may have been a "salted" Nonnenmacher list, but I'm going from memory on that one.

13. Ascent

Ascent Member

Thanks for the pointers guys.

fortunatly I'm not interested in claims so I can skip that area.

I suppose the era i'm looking at is probably winter '43-'44, maybe into later '44, when the technology was getting interesting but the Allies hadn't overwhelmed the defences.

Does anyone know when they started flying nightfighter intruders in with the bomber stream?

14. PSO

PSO New Member

Hi. Try gyges.dk - Huge site mostly regarding the Naghtjagd organization ie. lots of concrete related topics, but also a lot of other info. Go for the research submenue. Rgds