Luftwaffe Aircraft Camouflage and Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

beaupower32

what is the source for all those graphics?

Guys, the graphics eventually load.

I get about half the pictures the load and then the rest have red X's. Even a refresh does not change the views. Maybe change to pictures to Jpeg's if they are not in that format Beaufighter?

They are in jpeg. They're just HUGE images. I get all but the last three or four to load and then red x's on the rest.

They should be from the Jagdwaffe: Luftwaffe Colours series, mainly the "Blitzkrieg and Sitzkrieg" and "Battle of Britain" by Eric Mombeek.

Attachments

• battle.jpg
    battle.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 831
  • jagdwaffe_serie_3.jpg
    jagdwaffe_serie_3.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 813
Hi Guys

This is a little chart I made to aid in identifying Luftwaffe aircraft in photos etc. It basically lists the individual id letters for each staffel in the geschwader and also the identifying colours used for each gruppe within the geschwader or squadron. Namely the colours used on the spinners or individual aircraft letter (maybe full colour or just outlined) that identify which gruppe in the squadron the particular aircraft is in. Also below the chart is a handy list of what the first 2 fuselage characters are for the main geschwaders (but not all).

Enjoy!

Clint
View attachment Luftwaffe Gruppe Colours Chart.pdf

Can anyone tell me what the official sizes were for the Balkenkreuz / German Cross on both the wing and the fuselage? I'm guessing that it was a proportional number such as 4/5th the height of the fuselage or chord of the wing? I have seen the many drawings laying out the exact proportions of the Balkenkreuz in ratio to itself but nothing stating what the overall outside dimension is in ratio to the aircraft.
Thanks for any help on this.

Depends on the aircraft and time period. They generally weren't based on a ratio. If you specify a particular aircraft, I may be able to be more specific but here are some common ones:

FW190 Upper lower wing 910mm, fuselage 800/810mm
Bf 109G Upper wing 1000mm, lower wing 950, fuselage 950

Variations also existed within these. Source: Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945 by Ullmann.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back