Massive 8.9 quake rocks Japan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I heard about the carrier group pulling back due to the radiation detected, but news said it was trace amounts, and they were pulling back to consider options (go ahead and go in, or play it safe).

Yeah that was the private organization. The Federal one is still in Japan.

Also new news:

WASHINGTON – More U.S. military crews were exposed to radiation Tuesday as the Pentagon ramped up relief flights over a Japan reeling from an earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis.

The Defense Department said the Navy started giving anti-radiation pills to some of those exposed, and Americans on two military bases south of Tokyo were advised to stay indoors as much as possible. Meanwhile, U.S. aviation and energy officials also worked with Japanese counterparts on the nuclear developments.

With more aid for victims on the way, the U.S. Navy said it was redirecting three ships to work in the Sea of Japan on the country's west coast rather than risk the hazards of radiation and the debris field in the waters off the east coast.

Sensitive air monitoring equipment on the aircraft carrier USS George Washington detected low levels of radioactivity from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant as the carrier sat pier-side at Yokosuka, Cmdr. Jeff Davis, a spokesman for the U.S. 7th Fleet, said Tuesday

You can read the rest here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110315/ap_on_re_us/us_us_japan

Last edited:
Seeing as New Zealand and Japan have had their share of **** happening down here in the ring of fire, and seeing how the potentially earthshaking fault line in Metro Manila lies pretty much right below the street my under-renovation house is, and how it runs right below many residential areas and squatters areas (to give you an idea, Manila proper (not Metro Manila though) is the most densely populated city in the world) in a country which is run by a rather incompetent and corrupt government. I really hope our country's luck doesn't run out.

Japan's had these things happening to them ever since they discovered their land and set foot upon it. They have a competent government and professional disaster response teams and equipment. I wouldn't worry too much about them, I'm certain they will succeed at minimizing their losses and fixing their problems. They lost a world war and countless lives and got bombed into the ground and nuked twice, and yet they're still the richest, most high-tech nation in the largest continent on Earth. I've got faith in their fortitude.

Thoughts and prayers rest with the Japanese and all the other people affected.

And may God have mercy on us

Thanks guys again!

Today, Emperor Akihito is said addressed his condolences to the earthquake/tsunami victims and encouragement for the future reconstruction on TV but no one around me paid attention to that.

I don't know how but time has certainly been changed after ww2.
He is not necessarily with us anymore.

the west coast folk are living in total fear, no iodine tabs to be found, weirdos are circulating much news that there is a radiation cloud over California-Bakersfield right now and my state of Oregon gets it on the morrow.....................help we are all gonna die !!

ah but according to a prophecy of panic web-site we are already got clobbered this past Monday....

enjoy and go have an ice cold one

article-1366055-0B2BF83F00000578-202_634x453.gif

People know how it was in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, so they have no excessive reaction so much in Japan, at the moment at least.
They only escape from the region to the western area of Japan or Hokkaido quietly.

BTW, The Japanese may have found out their future great leader this time.
Yukio Edano 46, a lawyer, member of the House of Representatives and the Chief Cabinet Secretary.
His speech is always clear on TV even in the ongoing nuclear crisis and make us the people feel he is always with us.

He was born in Utsunomiya City nearby Tokyo and studied law in Sendai City.

Last edited:
It's an incredibly great story I didn't know, RabidAlien.
Thanks for sharing!

No prob! His site is usually fairly accurate, historically, if maybe a tad overblown on the dramatics, blood, violence, and expletives. But frikkin hilarious nonetheless! Its good to hear some good news out of Japan, since all we get from the media is sensationalism, talking heads, and doom.

be well Shin. the local experten are saying before the following Sunday were suppose to get a big one ..................earthquake over and above 9.0.

fun eh ?

Saturday, 19 Mar 2011, Belgrade, Serbia
From Belgrade To Japan

New message of encouragement to the people of Japan was sent from the city center within the action "Belgrade To Japan". Citizens dressed in red and white shirts have formed the Japanese flag with their bodies. All those who gathered today in Republic Square in Belgrade are bind by the feeling of respect and admiration for Japanese culture and the desire to support a country that, as they say, has done much for us. With Minute of silence citizens paid their respects to those injured and perished in the earthquake and tsunami.

As a contribution citizens were able to purchase origami figures at a symbolic price. The money will be sent to the people in Japan. In addition to this Japanese Embassy in Serbia opened a special bank account to raise funds.

"We are fascinated by the dignity and calmness of the Japanese people, despite the tragedy that has befallen them and wish to help in some way," is one of the messages that could be heard in Belgrade today.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Beograd-Japan-527-1.jpg
    Beograd-Japan-527-1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 123
I can't express my desire for wanting to physically help in such matters enough, Nature is both devastingly beatiful and also beatifully devastating.
Hoping for more survivors, wishing all persons involved swift knowledge of those unaccounted for and for all conducting searches, restoration of basic services infrastructure, surviving, providing local civic aid, the safest of can be expected times recoveries.

Since the many natural events I have seen on the news in my (so far,) 32 years, what is required to be an sanctioned rescuer or if anyone here might know what is entailed; for informative purposes, peace of mind, knowledge and a need to know?

I've only ever noticed this feeling growing since Christchurch; well erm, like Turkey's series of quakes in the 90's, so the along the Ring during the 10's... If a imaginary line through Icelands volcaneo, the magnetic core of the Earth, that it'd be close to a important fault near NZ - delayed reaction of crustal materials involved harmonic ripples

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back