Me-109 found in Norway (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very cool! Can't wait to find out some new information on this. I wonder if it is a Bf 109T since they were based out of Norway.

Edit: Actually based off of the video I believe this is a Bf 109T, based off the shape of the wings. She is largely intact, with much of the color visible. It is certainly restorable!

Last edited:
Awesome story and video v2!

A warbird so rare needs to be saved. And the cold water probably kept the 109 in a pretty good state of preservation.

Very cool to see the markings on the wings and tail.

TO

What a cool video, thank you v2!

I must admit I'm really puzzled realizing that plane is 'perfectly' nailed vertically into mud :shock:
I see that for the first time, and I can't imagine how this happened...

Grat find, thanks!

Actually based off of the video I believe this is a Bf 109T, based off the shape of the wings. She is largely intact, with much of the color visible. It is certainly restorable!

I am pretty sure its a 109G, most likely a G-2. Check the shape of the canopy (internal armored glass, heavy welded frames), and especially the cannon cover between the pilots legs... the Emil did not have those. Telltale signs are the missing radiator flaps in the wingroot, and the squarish main wheel wells, streamlined compressor intake. Also it has Revi 12.

On the wings you could see the what remained of the wingtips, probably these rotted away in water, or fell off. (I am not sure but I think they were plywood - seems a reasonable choice given the complex shape of the wingtip.)

Last edited:
Grat find, thanks!

I am pretty sure its a 109G, most likely a G-2. Check the shape of the canopy (internal armored glass, heavy welded frames), and especially the cannon cover between the pilots legs... the Emil did not have those. Telltale signs are the missing radiator flaps in the wingroot, and the squarish main wheel wells, streamlined compressor intake. Also it has Revi 12.

On the wings you could see the what remained of the wingtips, probably these rotted away in water, or fell off. (I am not sure but I think they were plywood - seems a reasonable choice given the complex shape of the wingtip.)

You are correct, you can see where the rounded wing tips have eroded away. I guess I was just really hoping for another Bf 109T. :lol: I think there is only one left.

A quick translation of the article:

Here is the german fighter plane

Local divers recently found a german fighter plane, which crashed during the war in outer Namdal.
The plane is a Messerschmitt Bf 109, and it was found north of Vikna in northern Trøndelag.
The wreck was spotted with a mini submarine, and the mood was great when hte wreck was discovered.

- it was crazy, there was complete silence for two seconds. Then all hell broke loose, says Hilfred Mikaelsen from the Folla Diver's Club, to NRK Trøndelag.

Well preserved

The fighter crashed in february of 1943. It was on its way northward on a reconnoisance misison with two other fighters, when it encountered engine problems over Rørvik

- the plane dived, but the pilot managed to straighten up the plane before it hit the water surface. The pilot got out and was rescued by a woman who lived on an island nearby, Mikaelsen says.

The fighter is well preserved despite the many years in the lake.

- we've seen other aircraft wrecks, but none that has been as well preserved before. And we were overjoyed, Hilfred Mikaelsen tells.

Extensive search

The search for the plane has been going on for many years, and Mikaelsen himself joined the search in 1983.

- we've both been diving and pulled seine [sic], and the search has been covering a large area.
There's been different stories to work from. But when we got the mini sub, things has been much easier, is has got a sonar system, he says.

But even with modern equipment, it took 6-7 pours, before the vreck was spotted.

Valuable find

Birger Larsen is a conservationist at the Norwegian Aviation Museum in Bodø, he says that the discovery is very valuable for the museum.
The museum is already restoring an aircraft of the same type.

- judging from the video, it looks like there are parts that we can use, but we can't get a complete overview before the plane has been raised, Larsen tells NRK.

He says that it's the norwegian state who owns german plane wrecks from the war, and that it's the Museum of Defense, who are responsible.
They've said that they have no interest in the plane which has now been found.

Birger Larsen hopes that the plane can be raised as soon as possible, but he doesn't know when it might happen.

- to raise the aircraft is a huge project; we would love to raise it as soon as possible, but it all depends on the weather, and the acces to both personnel and finances, Birger Larsen from the Norwegian Aviation Museum says.

Wants to see the plane in Bodø

Hilfred Mikaelsen hopes that the fighter plane will get raised, and that they'll be able to see parts of it on display at the museum in Bodø.

- absolutely, that would be incredibly nice, we all agree on that.

- what will you be looking for next?

- oh, we've got so much, and now there's certainly going to be more search trips, says Hilfred Mikaelsen from the Folla Diver's Club.

---------------------

Cheers,

Maria.

I believe I am going to say I am wrong. The one that I thought was a T was actually an E-3. For some reason in the picture it seemed like it had the longer wings of the T. None of my lists of survivors however lists a T. I will check my Sea Eagles book when I get home from work. It is about the Bf 109T and lists all the WN and there dispositions. I am sure that it will confirm though that there are no survivors.

Last edited:
Sure would like to see another 109 flying again, and the variant doesn't matter. Good luck to those
working to save it.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back