Me 262 Mistel combination, projected - Me/ Fw Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Evan, pretty cool idea, don't think i've ever seen a 262 - 262 mistel combo. didn't think the Germans had enough 262s to throw some away

Cheers guys for the interest and feedback!

Horses would be an interesting touch, but would Messerschmitt not have used heavy tow vehicles at their plants? The Sceuchschlepper towed the Me 163, for example.

Read something of interest too re the Ar 234A Startwagen:
'For take-off, the Ar 234A sat on a large trolley that featured a steerable nosewheel and main wheel brakes for taxiing...' (The Encyclopedia of Aircraft of WWII)
How would you guys interpret that? Sounds to me like it was steerable under pilot's control (?)
Given the proposed Me 262 Mistel Startwagen seems to have been designed upon this, this would probably also have been able to taxi under it's own power. Question remains at which point engines would have been started, ie. to which point would it be towed, and with what.

Re the weathering question , I was actually thinking of the Startwagen :), but since Terry mentioned the natural (unpainted) aircraft finish, have included a photo of factory fresh Me 262 in said scheme - plan to do the Grossbombe as such.

Also re the Startwagen: just a technical detail, but does anyone know the quality of German welding on such support equipment? Photo below shows main component. I think there should be a visible weld line where the straight beams meet the tube. Your opinions?

Also of interest, same source above has a photo of an Me 262A-2a/U2 in uncamouflaged finish. Unsure if this is W.nr 110484, as they suggest TWO aircraft were built and flown, including the V11 prorotype. (photos below)

As for the model, no major leaps yet, but progress so far:
1. Main components of startwagen , some still awaiting filling of sink holes and sanding
2. Close up of main 'body', as mention above
3. Me 262 in natural (unpainted) finish
4. Me 262A-2a/U2 (W.nr.?) - Ecyclopedia of Aircraft of WWII, Ed. Paul Eden
5. Me 262A-2a/U2 (W.nr.110484) -warplanes of the Third Reich, William Green

Research, research, research...
(Btw, photos keep appearing in wrong order for some reason!)

Evan

STA51991.JPG
STA51958.JPG
STA51992.JPG
STA51952.JPG
STA51983.JPG

Last edited:
Treading into new territory for me Evan, but here's my vote for the tow:

U2-03a.jpg

As to the welding on the trolley I would expect it to be pretty crappy looking with arc srtrikes a splatter herre and there.

Andy, that is a bloody great photo!!! Thanks a million!!!
- Proves Terry's idea, and a new (for me) photo of the A-2a/U2!!! Fantastic!!!

Dry fitted the Startwagen major components, and now realise I can't use the kit item 'as is' - conversion time again!
Excuse my lack of knowledge on the correct technical terms, but the sponsons between the centre beam and outriggers are too short for the 262 - they need to be lengthened so the support jacks sit just outboard the Jumo engines.

..And whilst trial fitting the Startwagen, I couldn't resist not seeing what the combo will look like... goody goody goody!! :)

(Btw, none of the 2 uncompleted Revell 262's used here as 'Versuchs' aircraft were harmed during the photography process, nor the roughly 1:72 scale elefant which happened to be passing and kindly supported the lower component for me.
The same cannot be said for the Tic Tacs supporting the upper aircraft however...they went on to a better place :oops: :)

STA52046.JPG
STA52047.JPG
STA52048.JPG
STA52049.JPG
STA52050.JPG
STA52053.JPG
STA52054.JPG
STA52055.JPG

Last edited:
Good stuff Evan. That tow truck appears to be either an Opel fueler, or maybe even the crash wagon, so it looks like whatever was around would do the towing.

Cheers guys!

Andy, that is a GREAT link - VERY much appreciated mate! :shock: :D

Some major conversion to do on the Startwagen, but atleast now I know what it should look like! Also the details of the Grossbombe and Fuhrungsflugzeug... For anyone that reads German, some invaluable information in there! I'll do my best translation when I have time for those that don't.

Cheers again!

Forgot to mention...ordered an Academy Obel Blitz fueler today... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back