Me 262 Mistel combination, projected - Me/ Fw Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys!
As far as plastic surgery goes though, Dr. Wojtek is the true master here - I'm just an over-ambitious amateur :)

Can't speak highly enough of the rigid razor saw either- previously had to painstakingly chop kits with a normal craftknife or flexible (read that 'unstable') razor saw!

Anyway, latest progress - plug added from scrap and (VERY slowly) being sanded to form - tough as nails. Had I had enough spare resin, would have used that instead. Hpefully will look the part when finished though.

STA52131.JPG
STA52132.JPG
STA52133.JPG
STA52134.JPG
STA52135.JPG
STA52136.JPG
STA52137.JPG

Very nice work Evan. When I've had to 'plug' large areas like that, I normally build a 'deck' from plastic card, then fill the area with Milliput, shaping it as close as possible to the contours, using a final wet shaping, then sanding to final shape when hard.
Bit late now, but you might find the method easier for future projects?

Yep, that's good advice Terry, thanks! Had considered that and various other methods, don't know why I went the hard way... :rolleyes:

Forgot to mention earlier - got a Luftwaffe ground personnel set today. This will be my first proper diorama since 1986!!!

Latest progress, still unfinished:

STA52172.JPG
STA52173.JPG
STA52176.JPG

Sure is. Those old Airfix figures are still good today. I recently found a couple of 'modern' jet pilot figures from their 'modern' set I'd used with a RAF Phantom diorama years ago, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they still look.
Looking forward to seeing the diorama when it's all done Evan !

Thanks Andy, Terry and David!

Planned diorama basically a copy of that scene in the photo Andy posted, though with Mistel gespann of course.

(Btw Terry - managed to score a Revell WW II RAF pilot/ groundcrew set aswell...you will want to see this!)

Beautiful progress Even and nice little set of figures, could be fun and looking forward to more of your painstaking work.

Wow, thanks guys, that means alot!

I showed a modelling mate the figures today and he reckons they're terrible for painting, even if sanded a little. Apparently the paint comes off in chips after a while! Anyone have similar experiences?

That's because they're polythene. Put them in the freezer fort a hour or so, as this will help make it easier to trim-off any 'flash'. Wash them in detergent, then rinse. Give a thin primer, then paint as usual, having cut-off the bases, to fix in place by their feet. If handled a lot, the paint will flake off, but then once painted, and stuck in place, they won't be touched. I used to model in 1/72nd scale, and still have some painted figures, un-chipped, from over 30 years ago.
Hope this helps !

G'day guys!

Tiring week at work so not much done, but plug almost completely finished (about 6 or so hours sanding so far)
Pics up on Monday as away for weekend and camera batteries charging at moment.

Back from Parádfürdő, so here are the latest on the plug.

It's now at the 'tentative' stage, where I'm being extra careful - don't want to screw it up now it's come this far!
Notice the strange dips midway along too - deciding whether to fill these, or carefully form the plug... your thoughts?

STA52394.JPG
STA52395.JPG
STA52396.JPG
STA52397.JPG
STA52398.JPG

Looks like the plug is still standing a bit proud of the surrounding surface. Unfortunately it looks like you've already polished it up but I'd take a file to it again if I were you. Then also a bit of putty at the joints as it looks like the glue deformed the plastic at that one location.

Yep, good spotting Andy. The whole plug does sit proud still, and needs to be sanded down yet. Still working on getting the form right.
I think you're right too, the superglue holding the plug has pobably caused the deformations, so there will be filling and sanding aplenty yet...

For anyone else trying this or a similar conversion, I'd say go Terry's idea re the plug- would have saved alot of trouble! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back