Mitsubishi J8M1 (Army Ki-200) CGI Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Foot pedal, control stick and pilot seat are said same as Zero Fighter's.
If so, it would be better to see that this was Mitsubishi's original plane based on the Me-163 concept.

J8M1_Shusui_015.JPG

Me-163 cockpit image.
Me-163B_cockpit.jpg

Source: "Shusui" and Japanese Jet, Rocket Planes by Model Art Nov. 1998

Agreed. I can't imagine the feeling of being seated between two fuel cells and going into combat

Not much different from sitting behind one or two large fuel tanks (Hurricane and Spitfire, etc) or sitting on top of 2 and in front of one (Mustang, Warhawk, etc) I would think. The US pair at least had solid structure between you and the fuel but the Spit and Hurri did not.

I wish I had the money, so that I could have your meticulously researched projects built, Shinpachi-san

Structure modeling takes longer time as not good for the health like translation work but I am frankly curious what project you are wishing if possible, Dave.
I am now researching this model whether I should work on the structure or the outer skin only.

B-17G_01.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for checking everyone.
11th to 13th formers to complete the fuselage.
Ribs for the under cover is necessary but I will work on the wing first to grasp total arrangement.

J8M1_Shusui_019.JPG
11th_rib.JPG
12th_rib.JPG
13th_rib.JPG

I was going to finish this project by the end of last year but am still struggling. Sorry but I am going to finish by March now.

By the way, I have found a testimony that the J8M was reverse-engineered in a book titled "Syusui" written by Hisamitsu Matsuoka - a former Mitsubishi engineer like this.

"Around this time (in the summer of 1944), Mitsubishi's fighter design team for the navy was so busy with the improvement of 14-shi interceptor "Raiden (J2M)" and the development of 17-shi carrier fighter "Reppu (A7M)" that they felt it almost impossible to undertake the development of tailless rocket interceptor which they had never experienced before.

Moreover, although there were some data which were brought back from Germany by Lt. Colonel Iwaya, they were not detailed enough to be used for the production of actual aircraft including the engine as they were.

Contents of the technical data brought back by Iwaya were nothing more than these.

1. A very simple design manual of about 20 pages in A4 size, a piece of photo showing rough 3-view of aircraft assembly (with no numerical value), a rough cross-sectional view of the main wing in cabinet size photo (with no numerical value of the airfoil either).

2. A simple instruction manual on producing and handling the chemical solution, a report of combustion comparison tests of several types of chemical fuel injection valves of about 20 pages in B5 size (with brief explanation of the principle and structure of the rocket engine) and a set of documents on ingredients, performance and production method of chemical solutions."

Syusui_by_Matsuoka_Hisamitsu_MIKI_PRESS.JPG

Shinpachi's J8M at work.
J8M1_Shusui_020.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back