Mitsubishi J8M1 (Army Ki-200) CGI Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

An old suitcase.
This could have carried a few thousands pages of technical data.
My imagination over old Japanese engineers extends.

An_old_suitcase_01.JPG
An_old_suitcase_02.JPG

Source: 信州味噌の塩屋醸造 旅行カバン

Mitsubishi announced in the postwar that they developed the J8M based on the Me-163 manual with hardships because no sample was given but I begin to wonder if it was a little bit exaggeration. As a common sense, a maker can build a product without sample if the specification and drawings are given. No sample but Iwaya could answer engineers' question as he witnessed actual product in Germany. This picture, for example, introduces the 10th former of the J8M1 Shusui. Structure is almost same as the Me-163 and no one can draw this in imagination or oral advice only. I think that the reverse engineering could be a myth.
Source: "Shusui" and Japanese Jet, Rocket Planes by Model Art in Nov. 1998

How close are the dimensions of the Me frames to the J8M frames?
If identical on all or most frames that would prove you right. If different by more than a rounding number then I would say they reverse engineered from the manual as claimed. There could be a rounding difference if the two manufacturers used different tolerances.

Maybe they reverse engineered like Packard did with the Merlin in the USA and GMH did with the Gypsy in Australia - redrafting every single drawing, in the first case changing every drawing from first angle projection to third angle and in the second case changing all the measurements from metric to Inferial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back