My 7 year olds first build. F-86D Sabre.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
I tried this months ago, but this time my son seems to have more interest...lol. Anyway this is a old and cheap MPC kit.

Box.jpg

This jet is going to look however he wants it to look. He said he wants skulls, so I'll go ahead and advise you now that it will not resemble any historical real one.

Anyway here he is with his very first task. He's painting the floor of the cockpit, seat and stick.

1st Paint Job.jpg

Great stuff Tom! Hope he enjoys the build and will do more!

He probably should wear a mask btw to be on the safe side, though I rarely do myself.

Excellent, and I agree with all. Of course, it's up to your son, but it might be a useful exercise to let him brush-paint his first model. In this way, he will be able to understand the uses and limitations of paint, how it behaves, how to apply it in the best way for the job, and the need for proper and thorough stirring before use.
Using an airbrush for the very first time can be a daunting task, even for an adult, and mistakes, big errors or problems, could lead to disenchantment and discouragement. However, if he insists he wants to air brush his first model, then let him do it - but yes, some form of mask, if using enamels in particular, is advised.
I have never used a mask, but then I grew up in a world where the average airborne poloution would never even be dreamed about today, so, to a small extent, I'm 'conditioned'.

Get him interested before the video game bug bites him too hard. I agree about using a brush, at least on his first few builds. When he starts getting into it, teach him how to use the airbrush.

Get him interested before the video game bug bites him too hard. I agree about using a brush, at least on his first few builds. When he starts getting into it, teach him how to use the airbrush.

You know it's funny you mention that. Lately I have been seeing WW2 air combat gamers begin to get into scale model building.

As far as a mask, I'm his Dad so of course he would wear a mask. :p

:cool: Love to see the youngsters in the hobby. And a mask? What kind? A paper mask? Don't bother. Besides the mask may ruin the experience. Just keep the room ventilated. He wont grow a fourth arm, I promise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back