My Breena

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikewint

Captain
Feb 17, 2010
Lakeview, AR
If any of you have followed the posts on dogs you may recall that I had an 3yo Irish Wolfhound named Breena
This is very hard for me to write but my beautiful girl Breena died yesterday. After missing her aug heat and having one dobe die of breast cancer in the past I thought it best to have her spayed. There were two vets and two techs doing the operation and it went very well. Her ECG was normal, pulseox 98%, and she recovered from surgery very well. I picked her up around 4PM Monday. She was hurting and walked very slow and had some trouble with the steps. She had a pain shot at the vet which was to last 24hrs. She did not want to eat but drank lots of water. I took her out side twice that night and she peed but had some problems getting up from her squat. Abdominal surgery is tough and painful. Early the next morning, 6:30 AM she did not look any better and had trouble getting up and walking up and down the stairs. She made it to the grass but just laid down. Karen called the vet at 8AM and the vet said to give her 2 aspirin for the pain. At 10AM she was worse and could hardy rise. I got home at 11:30 and Breena just looked at me and could not get up. The vet came to the house with a stretcher and took her to the office. I followed close behind. They had her on the table, were giving her oxygen and had an ECG running. Her heart was racing almost 200bpm and from time to time was throwing PVCs. They gave her Lidocane which worked for a time with her rate slowing to 140-150 at which point her head would come up, she'd see me, wag her tail and lick my hand but within 15-20 min the PVCs would return. She just got worse and worse. I held her while she took her last agonizing breaths.
I've had many dogs in my life but Breena was so very very special. The light in those big brown eyes is gone forever and I basically killed her. Sunday she was running and playing with the other girls, I decided to have her spayed and subjected her to the operation and as a result she died.
I'm not one of those wack-jobs who think dogs are human, Breena was better than that

Attachments

• IMG_0109rR.jpg
    IMG_0109rR.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 147
Karl, thank you, I am so sorry for your loss. I've had to do that as well and there was at least some comfort knowing that you were giving him/her the last comfort possible. Breena was 3yrs old and essentially in her prime, had I not had her spayed she would be here now

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that Mike and Karl. No words man...no words

But Mike, you can't blame yourself. You had no malice in your heart and did what you did out of love. It IS the right thing to do. A bad and tragic outcome that I would imagine rarely happens, unfortunately it did and it happened to Breena. Just your turn to ride on the cosmic sh*t train that is life. But I suspect you know that already and given a little time you will be remembering, fondly, the good times you shared no matter how short instead of morning the time you should have had. All the best man. My thoughts are with you...

Last edited:
Thank you all. We all think our kids and pets are special but you would have had to look into those big brown eyes of hers to see the intelligence present and the soul as well. I see her everywhere here but she is never there

Last edited:
I agree with Vic.. No words...no words . I'm very very sorry to hear that. Mike and Karl I'm with all here.

So sorry to hear about your losses lads, I know the feeling, always had cats and dogs around me and it never gets any easer....

As they say, to you, they're just a part of your life, but to them, you're their whole life!

Mike and Karl, You have my deepest sympathies and I share your sorrow. Mike, don't blame your self as there is no way of knowing the ultimate outcome. Karl, you gave your companion the best life any one could have. Such heartbreaking news.

Mike, Karl. My heart truly goes out to you two guys, such sad news.

Mike I can by reading your message that you a crestfallen at the loss, but please mate do not put this on yourself, as Jim says, this is one of those sh*t things that happen in life and as time passes you will constantly remember the fun time you all had with Breena.

Karl. Also sorry about Toby, it's so hard to let the pets go but at 15 years he would have been a tires old fellow who's age was obviously catching up with him. Rest assured mate Toby will be in his element now chasing rabbits to his heart's content.

Vic, Wayne, at6 Gentlemen I deeply appreciate your kind thoughts. I've had many dogs, watched them die or had to put them to sleep and all of them hurt but Breena was so very special, words fail me, you would have had to have looked into those big brown eyes to see the intelligence and soul. Yea she was only a dog, I know but so very very special to me. The hole she left will never heal

Mike I never think of one of these sweet creatures as only a dog. There was a special bond between you and Breena. You saw the love and devotion in her eyes and made what you believed to be the right decision harder to accept when things went wrong. With these procedures there is a 99.9% chance of everything going right. It's that other .1% that is always the worry. The no kill shelter where I volunteer spays and neuters all pets before adoption and I don't know how many suffer complications as it is several weeks before I see them in the kennels. I took the risk with my Rosie and had no problem. You could never have foreseen what happened to Breena and I'm sure that she wouldn't want you to blame yourself. She is with my boys now where there are endless treats and angels to care for them until we are with them ourselves. In time you will forgive your self for things beyond your control and who knows? You might give a chance at life to another when the time is right.

Last edited:
at6, thank you, deeply appreciated. Our vet feels as bad as I do and so he sent Breena's ECG tracings and lab results to a canine cardiologist. His opinion was that there was a slight abnormality in the trace which indicated a hypoxic heart. The blood flow to her heart was probably partially blocked by a clot. He feels it could not have happened during surgery as her pulseox was 98% and at 8AM we gave her 2 adult aspirin which would prevent clot formation from that point on. So at some point after surgery and before 8AM she through a clot. The restricted blood flow are resulting lack of oxygen lead to her heart slowly dieing. While there are drugs to dislove clots they are not on the shelves of country Vets. So in effect she was lost no matter what we did.
We do have a IW pup in mind it is just a question of perhaps going through this all again at some point (Average IW life span is 6.7 years)

I'm very sorry for your loss Mike. Irish wolfhounds are a special breed. I've heard that this breed can live up to 8 years. Our Misty lived for eleven but she was a Blue Dane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back