My New IL2 Video Research Thread...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The only skin Ive found so far of a III./JG53 crate...

Attachments

• JG53.jpg
    JG53.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 54
what details are you missing for JG 300 now ?

also what are Manks and Weber quoting from what source(s) ?

Baer of JG 53 may have been another one of my relatives .............funny how life is. His crate is crap of course and hard to see if the black fusleage band is in place. the earlier Med Pik AS 109G cannot be used for the vid it's way too early.

found a pic of a 7./JG 53 109 in October of 44. the black band is worn and the A/C is a G-14/AS. AS G-14's were in 7th staffel as early as August of 44.

Viktor, viktor, Ich verstehen Hauptmann ............ ~

yes correct D ~ 7th staffel is a second gruppe crate, but it does show at least in the pic the typical black band so we can say with some certainty it was worn.

the white spiral is a little unusual for 7th staffel and I do not want to suppose this style was carried over to III. gruppe.

9th staffel had white numbers, no outline
10th staffel ?
11th staffel had yellow numbers, no outline
12th staffel ?

Ok, here's the latest on the Bs, sorry about the white ID band, Bill...I had it on WR-P, but at some point, omitted it on WR-Y and WR-W...

Also had the ground crew "paint over" Woody's kills on WR-W (only cost me half a pack of Luckys) :lol:

Attachments

• flight.jpg
    flight.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 55
Wow, those crates look great Dave. Now that I've read the entire thread, it all makes a bit more sense of what you have been telling me about.

This is gonna be one heck of a video guys...........hats off to everyone

Alright, we're getting closer.... Kites look great Dave.... Thanks for the info Erich.... How does the skin look for Yellow 7 I posted above??? Camo color looks close???? If we lose the spiral, are we close enough or do we need to tweak it up a notch??? Any individual markings possibly???

So we are gonna need 4 White crates and 4 Yellow crates from 9 and 11 Staffels... I can mix em up and spread em out in the JG53 formation of 12 aircraft and make it work....

Question Erich and Bill, any way of finding out what numbered crates were involved/lost/engaged??? For sure we need a White 1 and a Yellow 1 for the couple Staffelkaptain that were lost....

D ~

I will have places of the crashes, pilot and A/C numbers hopefully when the volume arrives at my doorstep. Most likely with the authors in-depth details the number of 109's that were involved will be also mentioned in the days battle.

Just sent you two clowns pics of various JG53 109s at different times - have no idea regarding staffels.

Also sent you the loss lists

David - great job

Thanks Bill....

Heres the shots Bill provided... First one is a bellied up 109 from May 44, the other is a white bander from the Med.....

Interesting to speculate on the top 109. It was surely counted and awarded a 'destroyed' by USAAF if chased by a fighter and belly landed - if it was repaired rather than written off.

This is an example of the difficulty in matching claims/awards to actual's.

This 109 WAS shot down - but NOT destroyed (maybe).. looking at cockpit area the pilot may have DOW later

yes second gruppe machine obviously but probably would fit the look of the III gruppe crates. interesting the losses quotes 11th staffel having black numerals, wonder if they were borrowed for 11st which should have yellow numerals. Stab. III. gruppe had black numerations and bars and <'s

I've got to wait for the 3rd volume on JG 53 and will have more concrete evidence

What color was the vertical Gruppe Bar color Erich???

Losses were:

StabIII. Ofhr. Bär, Peter werknum 442001 < 4 + l
9. Ofw. Amon, Georg
9. Uffz. Heck, Hermann Yellow 9 + l
11. Ltn. Harpel, Dieter wrknum 163401 White 15 + l
11. Uffz. Pusch, Hermann wrknum 440602 White 7 + l
11. Uffz. Sommerhoff, Hubert wn 166207 White 21 + l
11. Flg. Weinzierl, Fritz wn 166008 White 1 + l

What color was the vertical Gruppe Bar color Erich???

Losses were:

StabIII. Ofhr. Bär, Peter werknum 442001 < 4 + l
9. Ofw. Amon, Georg
9. Uffz. Heck, Hermann Yellow 9 + l
11. Ltn. Harpel, Dieter wrknum 163401 White 15 + l
11. Uffz. Pusch, Hermann wrknum 440602 White 7 + l
11. Uffz. Sommerhoff, Hubert wn 166207 White 21 + l
11. Flg. Weinzierl, Fritz wn 166008 White 1 + l

That was a pretty nice spreadsheet wasn't it. I also have JG2 Loss list and hope to get JG 3 soon. Will pass all of them to you as soon as I get them

D ~ think 9th should be white and 11th staffel yellow numbers

still need to wait for that book to confirm and get the needed b/w photos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back