MY WORLD

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great stuff Geo, and there's folk here in the UK, with Land Rovers and other 4x4s, who'd pay to drive over that s*it - I used to teach them off-road driving, and they were totally happy and content if their vehicles were blatted in mud !
And that dam - hope there's no low-flying Lancasters around .......................

Thanks Wayne. Compare this shot to that in Post #271, two weeks later...

...we even had to bring out the water truck to control the dust. Last night it snowed an inch. Flat topping a berm for a pipeline. 8-10ft. drop dam side, about 50-60ft. pond side.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Andy, before any equipment is moved, from pick-up to shovel, a pre-trip is mandatory. Basically a walkaround looking for leaks, damage and overall condition. Damage must be reported immediately. If you don't report it and someone else finds the damage later on, it becomes your damage and you suffer the consequences. Because I'm bored, here's a grader pre-trip...

1) Check the body fluids (hydraulics, coolant, transmission and oil levels) in the engine compartment and look for leaks. Look for damage - to be done at each step.
2) Articulation cylinders and center pin. Look for leaks under the machine.
3) Check the tires for cuts and wear
4) Undercarriage condition and leaks.
5) Rear lights, fire suppression system and ripper.

Other side is basically the same

6) Front lights.
7) Grease lines, steering cylinders.
8) Rear grease lines, tires.
9) Lift cylinders, circle motor, grease lines.
10) Circle, circle shims.
11) Cutting edge, side shift shims and cylinders.

The pre-trip book is then filled out and any irregularities noted. We're also supposed to do a post-trip to check and see if we did any damage during the day.

Geo

Andy, about the Mount Polley comment. We had our Quarterly meeting with upper management this week and it was mostly about the dam. According to them, we have the most modern dam monitoring system in Canada and it is the only one that monitors 24/7. Mount Polley also build theirs improperly on a glacier floor (I wish I could remember the term but never try and explain something to me before 7am). That caused the bottom of the dam to slough out due to too much weight on a smooth surface. Ours will be keyed into the floor. Not saying a disaster couldn't happen but so far so good. Not very often the water is calm.

Geo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread