MY WORLD

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just test driving a discovery I found on my camera. I've had issues where my camera focuses on the foreground instead of the subject, not readily apparent through the view finder. As we were out shooting Osprey pics today I saw this on the side of my long lens...

I took some flower pics and a bird pic where there was some clutter in front and behind and then manually focused using the front ring and voila....

Lets all play, "Count the bird feeders". My wife is going slightly nuts I think. They are all in use at sometime or another

While walking along the tracks back to the car, I noticed these

These were on most ties and a search on the Googler showed no results

The AF switched on the lens will allow the camera to set the focus automatically when the shutter release is gently depressed.
So if your camera is set to "P" (program automatic) and your lense is switched to "AF", all is needed is to gently depress the shutter release to activate the camera's systems for the best shot that the camera's sensors have determined.
On my cameras, I typically leave the lenses switched to AF (except for lunar, lightning photos) and the f-stop (typically) set to 8 and use manual shutter speed.
Of course, that can change depending on the situation, but if I'm out shooting sunsets or wildflowers and such, that's my settings.

Just test driving a discovery I found on my camera. I've had issues where my camera focuses on the foreground instead of the subject, not readily apparent through the view finder
My son is the photo-master in the family and he's mastering my camera (Canon EOS). He changed it to focus (in AF mode) only with the middle point of the cross which appears when you look through the camera (there are 7-9 AF-points or more, depending on the model). I don't know how - I'll ask and report back tomorrow. Now I can really pinpoint an object between branches, grasses, stones etc. Depending on the light conditions it's not always possible, but it's because I can't see the object through the camera, not because of the camera.
AF doesn't work below certain aperture - check for your camera here.
Cheers!

I had auto focus problems with the 75-300 zoom on my EOS T2i. My daughter had used it along with hers to do weddings. There was a very slight rough spot felt when using manual focus. When using AF the spot was enough to stop the lens travel. Tech support informed me the motor that zooms the lens is in the lens, not the camera body. The long lenses may be more prone to the tiny gear damage the short lens. The lens was repaired and now I try to keep it in the bag in "manual" to prevent gear damage when not in use, although I don't think it makes any difference.

Good stuff Geo. I turn off the AF when panning planes at airshows as I've often found the function to cause the lens to hunt all over the place for focus. My skills ain't good enough to keep the plane in the center and using the outer focus points confuses it too.

My daughter says I should always use manual rather than auto focus, but after sixty years of manual focus, I like auto. One thing I can't get used to with digital, is taking extra shots for info. With film cameras, we had 36 frames, then change, then run out of film just when the SR-71 comes in. I still find myself writing designations and numbers when I could just click the shutter again. Old habits hard to break.

Some random stuff. Years ago the neighbour planted raspberry bushes in his yard. Now he has none as they seemed to have migrated over to my yard; got about two quarts yesterday

This tree has been featured in several winter shots before. #1 daughter brought it home as a sapling in '98, as tall as the pole behind it now.

This is Timmah. Got him as a sapling in 2009 when and I was going to job fairs. I named him that because after his second winter the snow had beat the crap out of him; broke several branches and he was bent over for a few years

This flower bed is still a work in progress, attempt number three

Feeding time

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread