My WWII book collection- so far.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
The first shelf is ALL reference pertaining to WWII. The second shelf is personal accounts of WWII , Vietnam etc.
Third shelf is all reference books besides WWII. Post yours !

Attachments

• 102_3870.JPG
    102_3870.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 444
Looks like nice private library Harrison, but the photo is little blurred and not all the titles can be read.
I believe I've posted this photo somewhere on the forum before, but here it is again. This is my small private library (only WW2 related books are on the photo). I'm constantly looking a way to add new titles I would like to own, but lack of finances is as always a problem. Actually I have much more books on my computer hard disc. However, I do prefer the "real" thing.
To return to the photo...As I wrote these are all WW2 related books written in Slovak, Serbian (both in Latin and Cyrillic alphabet), English and Czech language. Only intruder here is the green book on the far right. This is book about gardening which my father received as a gift, but never read it and gave it to me. It could come in handy if I ever consider to replace scale modeling with gardening as my hobby... :lol:

Attachments

• 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 378
Great stuff guys! My collection isn't all that large. I do however have a sizable magazine collection of Aeroplane/Flypast/Flypath and Aero Australia.

First four are my "already read" bookcases, right-side (first two pics, shelves top to bottom) are WW2, WW2/reference, Tom Clancy, Sci-Fi, and bottom shelf for odds-n-ends. Second bookcase (third and fourth pics, shelves top to bottom) are WW2 hardcovers, WW2 hardcovers, WW2 paperbacks, bottom two shelves of sci-fi/fantasy. The last three pics are my third bookcase, top two shelves of "still to be read" books. And a Nerf gun.

Attachments

• IMG_4810.JPG
    IMG_4810.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_4811.JPG
    IMG_4811.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_4812.JPG
    IMG_4812.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_4813.JPG
    IMG_4813.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_4814.JPG
    IMG_4814.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_4817.JPG
    IMG_4817.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_4816.JPG
    IMG_4816.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_4815.JPG
    IMG_4815.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 347
ok here is just a small sampling, taken a few years ago.......... I've got two areas of study materials let alone what is piled on my PC oak cabinets and desk area and sadly all over the office floor

lets see if the image works, hey you can never go wrong by owning a WW 2 Panzerschreck 54

Attachments

• Bazooka 003.jpg
    Bazooka 003.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
I recognize a lot of the books there. My collection has gotten scattered amongst the many bookshelves in my home. It used to be all in one place, but when we moved into our house a few years ago, we were unpacking and preparing for my daughter to be born, so the books got put all over the place. Love the addition of the Nerf gun, RA. ;) Erich's Panzerfaust is badass. 8)

ok here is just a small sampling, taken a few years ago.......... I've got two areas of study materials let alone what is piled on my PC oak cabinets and desk area and sadly all over the office floor

lets see if the image works, hey you can never go wrong by owning a WW 2 Panzerschreck 54

:shock: Strewth, you really do take protecting your book collection seriously!:D

yeppers, too many years in collecting, first book was in the early 1960's, and not even sure where that little yellow covered book is actually. as I said this is only one section of 3, maybe 4. My office is pretty much verboten except to my Bride, the grandgirls stay out on the pain of death but on occassion they sneak in with cute smiles asking Opa what's up ? when you get nto 1000's of books it's high time to get as much insurance coverage over the lot as possible guys.
Give it time for those of you who plan to further this important part of collecting for your needs, my interests vary greatly and have over many years. my advice is to be very specific though and not too broad to build up your library. Check around all types of dealerships local and foreign you will be surprised as what you can find, amazon and similar firms are not always the best place to shop. Ask around here on the forum for titles even as there are a host of different ideas......and most of all be patient with yourself

Damn, nice collection of books, guys! I have plenty of books myself, but there scattered all around the house (some are even in the garage). Next time when I come back home from college, I'll have to take some pictures and post 'em on here. Oh yeah, Erich. Can you actually fire that bazooka, or is that there just to scare the crap out of somebody, hehe. Wouldn't mind having one of those.

I probably should not admit this but yes the thing is in working condition and I can de-activate at my leisure. the thing is registered locally by the way.

Eric's got a point for those just starting out. Collections build slowly over the years. I've sold alot of my scifi/fantasy (and some of the worst of the history books) to clear out space/pay bills, acquired books here and there, found some first-editions/collectables, and still have a box or two up in the attic. Books take up space, take money, and are bulky, so don't worry too much about hoarding until you get settle down in a more or less permanent location. The library is a GREAT way to buff up your history (which is what its all about, really), and are constantly getting new titles in. If you find one that really grabs you and won't let go, then pick up a copy someplace. Try the little hole-in-the-wall bookshops around town before you hit Amazon (word of caution.....you can get a used copy of book "xyz" for $2, or a new copy for $8 on Amazon....but check the shipping on the used one. A lot of times the shipping will be $7-$8 PER USED BOOK. I usually go for the new.). You can find some amazing things in those places! And keep a pile of Post-It's or index cards or something near your computer....every time someone mentions a book, or I read a reference in another book, I scribble it down and put it on my list to hunt for.

Heh. Before I got married, I envisioned myself growing older and living in an apartment like Sean Connery in "Finding Forrester". Now, THAT guy had a book collection!

You guys make me look like a amateur. lol I do not have a lot of WW2 books and I wish I did, but I am very picky when it comes to a WW2 book. I hate a WW2 book that chooses a side and that is not must have. Books are expensive over here and those that I do have I will never through away. My oldest book is Mein Kamf, a book that my Grandmother gave me that was her fathers book and it is still in a great condition. I will post some pics later.

move the books around on shelves so the paper/plastic endpapers do not bend or get torn. clean your shelves so they are free from dust, no direct sunlight and yes books an pics fade even within th pages.

remove books once a year especially if they are stuffed with heavy books, as I have a real problem with some of the LW unit histories that are big and thick, remove shlef and turn over after you clean them. I do this once a year. will tell you it is better for the books in harback to standup stright and not lean or be place on their side....sadly due to cramped quarters I cannot do this all the time but it is the best to keep that "old" book top notch......

E ~

New additions I got in the mail today.... all Osprey

Attachments

• 102_3924.JPG
    102_3924.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 102_3925.JPG
    102_3925.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 102_3926.JPG
    102_3926.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 160
all I can say is beware of Ospreys WW 2 aircraft series except possibly the elite series even then some of the art work is bogus along with descriptions and some text.

Osprey is important in it's own right for Napoleonics and some of the medieval and pre dated materials as there just isn't anything in print unless you have a titanium unlimited visa card for spending purposes

the AT tactics book looks interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back