N00b alert.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Melonfish

Airman
Sep 12, 2012
Warrington, UK
I'm Pete from warrington, i'm a long time modeller, since i was old enough to bug my dad for them at least.
i've honestly not build a plane in a fair while, since i was about 14 tbh (i'm now 32) but recently we were over at Elvington and i couldn't help but get my hands on a Halifax!

I have two children, one who's 9 and building his own models already, we'll be tackling a PBY-catalina soon done in pacific night colours and he's already got a large collection building, which i guess is the other way i got back into building planes etc.

I've not been totally slacking, i have spent a good few years messing with other models such as Games workshop or flames of war. i'm used to working with resin and styrene in its myriad forms and i'm ok at painting (at least imo)
but it appears i have the bug again, i did spot the revell kit for the hurricane mkIIC also and grabbed that, i always wanted to do a flying tin opener so i've got the after market kit for it from 3D kits.
i also grabbed the revell pilot box, coming from a mostly airfix background i found it odd that there's no pilot included in the boxes, until that is you realise they're focusing on the plane.
anyhoo pilots now sorted for that little extra.

The halifax is the 1/72 Revell kit, i've already been out and grabbed the B MK.II.1A after market from Frightdog for the props and nacelle intakes, also the exausts.
i will be building my Halifax as the mkii.1a so the squared tailfins the merlin XXII's, and the 4 gun boulton pauls with the glass coming on the nose, i'm still undecided about the H2S dome..

i have looked at further kits, photo etch etc for the internals and the main bomb bay and wing cells but atm i think i should ease in to it before i go seriously obsessive... (which i am want to do)

So the builds started last night, cockpits glued and whatnot, everything is already primed so once stuck just needs to be painted.

i've got all the colours i need, i'm a acrylics man, don't really get on with enamels and i've gone for the tamiya ranges as well as my existing vallejo and citadel. tbh the citadel is a bit too bright for this but i'll muddle through heh.
anyhoo i'll get a thread going for the builds shortly, just wanted to introduce myself.

ooh here's one, the halifax has some warped parts, poss from storage, can i assume the styrene should straighten out ok using the old hot water dip technique?
thanks
Pete

Hi Pete, and welcome from just down the road in Macc.
Good luck with the Halifax, and you're right to draw the line on the internal detail - even with vac-formed canopy and nose, only 10% of b*gg*r all can be seen inside!
Have a look at my recently completed build of the old Airfix MkIII in the start to finish builds section of modelling - might give you some inspiration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back