New here and looking around

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

acid_mojojojo

Recruit
Mar 5, 2009
Hi all,

Looks like a nice place you all have here. I am located in Ft Worth, TX and I actually found this place looking for information about my grandfather.

His name was Robert "Bob" G. Mumaw and he was part of the crew on a B-17 that was shot down over Germany. He was a POW for 2+ years and as I remember was liberated towards the end of the war.

Anyway, I am hoping to find someone that may have more detailed information or who might have served with him.

thanks all

mojo

Welcome to the forum and greetings from Poland.:)

Howdy! I'm from Hurst, myself, but work in FtWorth now...about a mile (as the crow flies) from Meacham Field. One of these days, I'll look up and see Chucky flyin around....

Welcome to the boards, though! If you could post his name and possibly his squadron number or plane, there's alot of folks here who could help you find anything you need to know about him.

Hi all,

Looks like a nice place you all have here. I am located in Ft Worth, TX and I actually found this place looking for information about my grandfather.

His name was Robert "Bob" G. Mumaw and he was part of the crew on a B-17 that was shot down over Germany. He was a POW for 2+ years and as I remember was liberated towards the end of the war.

Anyway, I am hoping to find someone that may have more detailed information or who might have served with him.

thanks all

mojo
Any info on where he was stationed ?

Thanks all for your welcomes and well wishes.

Unfortunately he passed away in Feb of 1991, and all I have left are fuzzy memories of some of the stories he told me when I was younger. I am sure it was not a pleasant memory for him so he did not talk about it a lot. I know he was shot down, I believe now it was over France and not Germany, however he was held in a German POW camp for more than 2 years. After that he also fought in the Korean war.

this is from one page I found online:
TG: S/S Robert G. Mumaw, 15082521, IN, POW, Stalag 7A, Moosburg, Bavaria

This lists him as the Tail Gunner, but I had always thought he was the top turret gunner. He was also Staff Sgt at the time, I believe he retired as a Chief Master Sgt.

thanks again all for your help.

Thanks all for your welcomes and well wishes.

Unfortunately he passed away in Feb of 1991, and all I have left are fuzzy memories of some of the stories he told me when I was younger. I am sure it was not a pleasant memory for him so he did not talk about it a lot. I know he was shot down, I believe now it was over France and not Germany, however he was held in a German POW camp for more than 2 years. After that he also fought in the Korean war.

this is from one page I found online:
TG: S/S Robert G. Mumaw, 15082521, IN, POW, Stalag 7A, Moosburg, Bavaria

This lists him as the Tail Gunner, but I had always thought he was the top turret gunner. He was also Staff Sgt at the time, I believe he retired as a Chief Master Sgt.

thanks again all for your help.

If you have access to any of his military records, the older ones may offer a clue. Also if he was a member of any military associations that may help.

My Dad for many years was a member of his Infantry Division Association. When Dad died, I was hunting for his Regiment Number. I found it in his Association Magazine after a few hours of hunting! Now it is part of his grave stone at the National Cemetary where he is burried.

And welcome from Michigan. I did my 6 weeks in Texas at Lackland AFB in late 1971. So been there, done that, got my first stripe there!

Bill G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back