New Member - Collierville Tennessee

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JayW

Recruit
Jan 14, 2014
Collierville TN
Hi, I just joined up, mostly to help support a model build I am going to do on a 1/18 scale P-38J or L. It will be an attempt to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, as the chassis is a 21st Century Toys "toy". I have done this already for a 21st CT P-51D, and posted a 4-part article on LSP (Large Scale Planes) if anybody is curious. Google "Miss Velma 1/18 P-51". Anyway, for that effort (which took two years) I researched heavily and got some help from some posts from ww2aircraft that I found with google searches, and was very impressed. So here I am.

Anybody who is a P-38 expert and can point me to some good threads, I would appreciate!

Old Velma is a beaut mate.
BTW, I had a neighbor by that name when I was a little fella. Hadn't heard that name in years.

There is a thread in here with US aircraft manuals, P-38 may be in there.......

Welcome aboard from Waydown South.

Thanks for the welcome all. Ozhawk, I do not know the markings yet. I wish I could keep the existing ones (Les Vin, Les Femmes, et Les Chansons), but I know there will be too much cosmetic surgery on it so I might as well do something all new. It will not be OD, as OD requires white (or yellow) decals. Many know that white home-made decals cannot be done, for all practical purposes. And it is too tough to get yellow to be opaque enough. So natural metal it will be. I am kind of partial to 20th FG - maybe I will find an interesting one.

In that scale, masking and painting the letters/numbers, or even using strips of solid-coloured, commercially available decal sheet, would be possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back