*NEW* Post Your Mugshot!!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's some righteous stuff there. I spent more than a few years beating my head against the walls of s**thole clubs in SoCal until I became a father and reality beckoned -- my 73 was my workhorse then, doing classic rock ranging from early Beatles to Rush, Tom Petty to AC/DC. Nowadays I still stick to rock, blues, and a little jazz for flavor -- which is why I went to a semi-hollow, it does all very well.

A Taylor x14CE is my purchase plan this year. I miss strumming and picking a quality acoustic.
One of my Les Paul's was a Custom. Not sure what year, but it had the neck veloute at the headstock. Was an old bar warhorse. When I opened the case the tobacco stink about took the top of my head off. My wife wouldn't let it in the house until I gave the inside case an industrial treatment with Febreeze. The years of bar smoke had turned it from white to yellow. It sounded good, but what a hog. Over 11 pounds. Sold it after about six months.

One of my Les Paul's was a Custom. Not sure what year, but it had the neck veloute at the headstock. Was an old bar warhorse. When I opened the case the tobacco stink about took the top of my head off. My wife wouldn't let it in the house until I gave the inside case an industrial treatment with Febreeze. The years of bar smoke had turned it from white to yellow. It sounded good, but what a hog. Over 11 pounds. Sold it after about six months.

Yeah, the volutes started small in 68, got big by 75, and shrank again until they cut 'em out in 78 or so.

The yellowing is not from cig smoke -- though a warhorse like yours probably saw a lot of that -- but simply for the nitro reacting to UV light -- it always turns yellow over time. That's why vintage silverburst LPs actually have a yellowish tint in the belly carve, too:

maxresdefault.jpg

FWIW, my 73 had already started yellowing by the time I got it in 87. Only surviving pic of it, with the rest of my rig at the time (1992 or so):

ilQ7QJT.jpg

Yeah, the volutes started small in 68, got big by 75, and shrank again until they cut 'em out in 78 or so.

The yellowing is not from cig smoke -- though a warhorse like yours probably saw a lot of that -- but simply for the nitro reacting to UV light -- it always turns yellow over time. That's why vintage silverburst LPs actually have a yellowish tint in the belly carve, too:

View attachment 612553

FWIW, my 73 had already started yellowing by the time I got it in 87. Only surviving pic of it, with the rest of my rig at the time (1992 or so):

View attachment 612554
Nice rig. Good talk.

I was debating whether or not to post my ugly mug on here. I finally figured why not. It'll make you guys feel better about YOUR looks, for sure. :laughing: I'm including where it was taken, as
well. It was from St. Patrick's Day last year, the family's last outing before COVID shut us down. We have an authentic Irish pub here in Tampa, Four Green Fields. An Irish magazine ("Ireland of the Welcomes") named it one of the 10 best pubs in the world, a few years back. The other FGF location is in Kinnitty Castle (converted into a hotel), County Offaly, Ireland.

FGF 8.jpgFGF 7.jpg
Four Green Fields - Named after the Tommy Makem song. Tommy Makem actually did perform here.

FGF 6.jpg
My late wife is on the left. This is the last photo I have of her.
(Always & Forever, my love!)

FGF 6d.jpg
You had your chance to run away. Me at 63 years of age. I'm 64 now (and not getting any better looking). :yuck:

-Irish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back