New 'room-mate' - what's she from?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Brigadier General
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
G'day guys!

This is my new room-mate! :D The owner of the flat inherited it from his great-grandfather, who was chief pilot for the Hungarian national airline, MALÉV. He was also part of a rescue team at the local Budaőrsi airfield, and I think he received it as an award for some action in this regard.

All I can find out from the net (so far) is that the type of wood used, style of painting, and number of bolt holes point to it being (to quote) 'early period, including World War 1'. If anyone has any more specific info than that and can identify make (looks like 'Moravan', or 'Aoravan' to me), or type of aircraft she came from, the owner and I would appreciate it! :)

Can post more pics later if anyone needs any more details.

Cheers!
Evan

Attachments

• STA53801.JPG
    STA53801.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 249
  • STA53797.JPG
    STA53797.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 258
  • STA53798.JPG
    STA53798.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 249
  • STA53799.JPG
    STA53799.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 241
  • STA53800.JPG
    STA53800.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 225
Wow...where is the rest of the plane Evan? :lol: Your new room looks nice.Is there a balcony or a window only?

Funny thing about these props. I did a hand painted sign for a AC maintenance shop in CA years ago. He had a twisted stick standing in a corner from a Chief. It had two flights on it but the owner parked his plane outside at a tie down. Never covered the prop to protect it. Clear coat started to lift, then hub started to delaminate. So now it stands in the corner of my living room! And I love it. Bill

Hey Evan, It is Moravan, there is one on evilbay with lots of photos for your comparison (auction # 130352743557 ), looks very similar to this apart from colour and end of prop which looks more pointed and seller states it's for a Zlin aerobatic plane.
Perhaps they'd be able to advise what the prop is actually from too.

Flyboyj just beat my response due to me multitasking lol

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks alot Joe and Mike, really appreciate that! :D

Joe, there are no numbers on the front atleast, but I haven't checked out the back in detail yet. Let yas know when I come back to Pécs next weekend.

Wojtek and Wayne...:lol:

I'm on the 7th floor, so maybe I can pick up enough speed before hitting the deck..! :)

It wouldn't be me telling you in that case Chris..! :lol:

After a wee squizz round the net re Zlins in Hungary, the prop is *probably* from a Zlin Z-226 trainer/ aerobatic aircraft, produced between 1956-61, first imported here in '61. Apparently they were very well received, and Hungary won various international aerobatic competitions with them in 1962.
Here's some pics of the remaining aircraft: HamPage - Zlin aircrafts in Hungary

Thanks again Joe and Mike, really appreciate your help on this!

Have a good week guys, I'm off to pack now for the trip back to see my 'roomy! :)

It wouldn't be me telling you in that case Chris..! :lol:

After a wee squizz round the net re Zlins in Hungary, the prop is *probably* from a Zlin Z-226 trainer/ aerobatic aircraft, produced between 1956-61, first imported here in '61. Apparently they were very well received, and Hungary won various international aerobatic competitions with them in 1962.
Here's some pics of the remaining aircraft: HamPage - Zlin aircrafts in Hungary

Thanks again Joe and Mike, really appreciate your help on this!

Have a good week guys, I'm off to pack now for the trip back to see my 'roomy! :)

I also think it´s from Z-226. That factory (Moravan Otrokovice) is about 10 km away from me.
Moravan Aviation s.r.o.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back