New Unpublished Java Sea Battle Pics (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ColesAircraft

Airman 1st Class
I actually have had these in an album for some time, and thought they were of the Coral Sea Battle.

Some pictures are, but I was amazed to discover many Java Sea pictures among them!

I only know of one or two Java Sea Battle pictures out there, as losses were so heavy among Allied personnel (and cameras).

I added several of them online at javaseabattle

- Ron Cole

Photo caption: Here we see HMS Exeter being blasted by IJN Nachi!

Attachments

• C-Sea-1-exeter.jpg
    C-Sea-1-exeter.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 427
Hi Ron,

Nice photos you have there but, sadly, and no offense meant from a forum newcomer, but for historically accuracy you should realize that the photos are NOT taken during the Battle of the Java Sea (27th Feb 1942) and that you have them miscaptioned.

For instance, re the captions;

The photo imbedded in your post is actually Exeter being bombed by Japanese aircraft on the 15th February 1942 during her sortie through the Gasper Strait, not shelled by HIJMS Nachi.

And the photos on the linked web page are as follows.

The photo entitled 'The end of HNLMS Java' actually shows bombs from Japanese aircraft falling around Java, on the 15th February 1942, during the so-called 'Gasper Strait sortie', not the torp hit that sank her (which happened late at night, i.e. almost midnight on 27th Feb 1942.)

The photo entitled 'HMS Electra in her death throes' is actually the Dutch destroyer HNLMS Van Ghent aground in the Gasper Strait (and yes, in her death throes) on 15th February 1942.

The two photos entitled 'HMS Exeter under fire from the Japanese cruiser Nachi' are actually Exeter being bombed by Japanese aircraft on the 15th February 1942 during her sortie through the Gasper Strait.

For the record the Allied Fleet did not encounter any Japanese ships on this sortie.

The photos of Exeter and Java are believed to have been taken from HMAS Hobart and copies of same are actually available from the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, Australia.

Regards,
Wally P.

Picture said to show Haguro just after, perhaps morning after, the battle, with paint peeling from the gun barrels from heat. Haguro was credited with the effective 8" hit on Exeter, lone heavy shell on either side known to have hit and gone off (there some other dud 8" hits by the Japanese); and generally credited with the torpedo which sank DeRuyter in the night phase of the battle, and that which sank DD Kortenaer just after the shell hit on Exeter in the day phase.

vol5img02.jpg

The writing on the picture credits it to the book 'Photographic History of All Japanese Warships'

The problem with photo's is often captions...that picture of Exeter chased by bomb splashes, some days before the battle, is often (mis)labelled as showing shell splashes during the battle.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back