NJACO's Crazy, Amazing, Jaw-Dropping Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After being featured in the September/October 2011 issue of Sierra, the Sierra Club's magazine, the photograph of a pine tree that has grown around a child's bicycle has been making Internet rounds. The story is that a boy put his bike against the tree in 1914 and went to war, never to return.

Well, not so fast.....

Berkeley Breathed apparently created a children's book about this very "bike tree", 1994's "Red Ranger Came Calling". This is the actual tree, engulfing the vintage bicycle, which inspired the story. The handlebars were removed by a (former) island author and hidden away until the day a big-time movie producer buys the rights to produce a film based on the book. The "Aunt Vy" character in the book will autograph books if you visit her at her Country Store, across the street from the Bicycle Tree. You can't miss the Country Store. The Red Ranger book is sold there if anyone needs a copy!The bike tree is off of Vashon Highway (which runs between the Seattle and Tacoma ferry ports on either end of the island) on the northeast corner of the Vashon Highway and SW 204 St. intersection, about 50-60 ft (very rough guesstimate) into the woods on the north side of Sound Food Cafe.

snopes.com: Bicycle Tree

Attachments

• bike001.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 142
  • bike002.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 170
  • bike003.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 146
  • bike004.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 140
  • bike005.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 150
  • bike006.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 185
  • bike007.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 136
  • bike008.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 143
Vashon Island is right across the sound from me. I've been there many times with work mates or just to take the ferry. A wonderful little island. They keep saying they are going to build a bridge to it, but I doubt it in my lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread