Ontos's Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hi ontos
not wishing to over do the advice bit I sometimes use a camera that cost me $200 so it has limitation backlite subjects can easily become shadows my rule of thumb is expose for the subject not the surroundings pshop will pull back most backgrounds that are a bit dark. For my camera 1-2 stops over exposure gives good results you know it needs to be over exposed, so 4 shots 1.2, 1, 1.5 and 2 stops over exposed covers most situations. As for the moon I usually go for around iso100 at100th-250th depending on the brightness a tripod and cable release or use the time makes a difference even at what seems high speed.
Experimentation is the best way to sort out probs as each camera has slight differences and metering can vary hugely so what may be good settings on one may be wrong on another

Thanks for all the advise, I'll try the darken on the Sunrise and thanks GG for the flash tip, I know they have great coloring that only shows good in direct light. Also thanks Trackend for the info for setting the exposure. I hope that bird lands there again and I'll try the flash. Thanks guys. :forthosewhothinkyo:

Cool hummingbird pics Ontos. They are a beautiful bird.

I've got hummingbird feeders in my back yard.
One of my feeders has a perch on it and they will use it quite often.
My presence doesn't seem to bother them too much anymore either.
I've had them fly to the feeder while I was trying to fill it.
I've also had them fly straight at my face and then turn at the last possible second.

Wheels

Just out of curiosity, is this a good lens and would it be worth getting? Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras. Am I moving too fast or just stick with the lenses I have, up to the 300.

Just out of curiosity, is this a good lens and would it be worth getting? Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras. Am I moving too fast or just stick with the lenses I have, up to the 300.
I have the Sigma 70-300 APO DG (1:4-5.6) Telephoto Zoom and love it to death. I've been able to catch some awesome shots, especially the moon, with it.

I wouldn't say you're moving too fast, but the Sigma is a considerable investment, and if you feel that you'll be active with your camera enough to justify it, then by all means....go for it!

Like GG stated, it all depends on what you want to do and what you can spend. I'm still doing a lot of learning and adjusting so I'm not sure what lens I will purchase next. All I have rite now are the 18x55 and the 75x300 just to give an idea of what I'm working with.I'd like a Macro lens but I'm putting it off for now.

I have the Sigma 50-500mm and it has been a good lens. The only drawback I find with it is that it doesn't have any kind of image stabilization. If you can deal with the weight, and the cost doesn't bother you, go for it. Check sigma4less.com. They have good deals and great service. I bought my Bigma from them and had a great experience.

Likewise I have a 50-500mm Sigma its a bit soft on the sharpness front in the UK's generally dull lighting but Eric has posted some super sharp shots taken with it and as you are from Cal I doubt if lack of light will be a problem.
I think they are a good value lens but need practice being non stabilised personaly
Its easy to over do it though check out the 200-500 f2.8 its rediculous the depth of field at 500mm will be next to usless and the size is unmanageble apart from the mega price

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfw5fZlUl28

I tried a Moon shot, Wanted a full Moon but settled for this one. Got a little blur, I'm getting a new tripod tomorrow. My old one was so cheap, the camera always fell forward, lens facing towards the ground. I set the shutter at 1/1250, F5.6. I just through in the picture of the two Doves, my birds are the only pets I have, minimal maintenance. :D

FirstMoonShot.jpg

IMG_0194-1.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot of the moon!

I've found more pleasure with partial phases than with full moons...probably because of the different shades and slower shutter speeds required.

Good looking doves, very nice!

Looks good Ontos though I reackon about 160th would have been about right its suprising the amount of light loss you have to compensate for as the moon goes through its phases also light contamination from street/house lighting has a big effect. try bracket shooting over three settings or as a last resort use your pshop to lighten it by a couple of tones.
Star traces can be fun to do if its a good dark, clear night.

That hummingbird is a 'one off' shot, well caught mate......or did you put glue on the banch ! :twisted:

Your moon shot is way better than anything I've ever been able to capture. Problem I find with using a tripod, is its surprising just how fast the moon is travelling...only takes a few seconds and its shifted and ruined your shot. I gave up in the end !:(

Thanks all for your help, this is really great, all the help and advice. Gary I put Honey mixed with Elmers to get him to stick :D I think in the Moon shot, the shaking of my hands compensated for the movement of the Moon. :confused: Here are some shots I took last night and this morning. The bee, I forgot my lens doesn't have image stabilizer :oops: I changed the speed to 1000.

IMG_0198A.jpg

IMG_0197A.jpg

IMG_0200B.jpg

IMG_0199A.jpg

Nice moonshots!

I've found that if you have alot of bees coming and going from a certain group of flowers, keep the focus on the flowers and let the bee (or butterflies, etc) fly into focus and catch them with a fairly fast shutter speed. I've had pretty good luck with that method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back