oops

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fighter-crash.jpg

I had to post these because I remember a conversation on the forum recently that debated whether the Allies had as bad airfields as the Germans (it was in relation to the Bf 109 undercarriage). Someone stated that Allied airfields were mostly paved and didn't have the kind of accidents that the Germans had. Oh well.......

1-P-40-RCAF-crashed-landed-Pat-Bay-now-Victoria-Int-Airport.jpg
800px-P-40d_02_172.jpg

Looks possibly pre 1941 due to the insignia, possibly a training version?
Agree. By the markings and the silver prop that's a very very early P-40E or even one of the few P-40D's. Maybe it was an evaluation flight that went bad. With those guys in the trench coats standing around that would be my guess. Too bad it doesn't have a tail number we can check.

Just a note on the Allied airfields. Most fighter airfields were not paved - they were mainly grass fields. Those in use by the USAAF sometimes, but not always, had hard runways, but these were often of poor initial quality, with surfaces that erroded quickly. Many had PSP or 'Sommerfeld Tracking', but might have hard taxi ways.
Only those (fighter) airfields which had been pre-war RAF permanent Stations, more likely bomber fields handed over to either RAF or USAAF fighter units, might have proper concrete runways, with those built later as bomber fields having a similar hard runway.

Not sure about that Spitfire. It appears to be a MkIX, but with green and dark earth camouflage. Also, the exhausts don't look right, and there's a strange ring, which looks like a lifting or suspension eye, above the fuel tank cowling. This, and the colour saturation, make me think this is a replica Spit, from a movie set, although I could be wrong.

Dead right! The other thing, war time Spit IXs were normally fitted with a wooden 'Jablo' type prop, which if belly landed, would shatter or snap the blades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back