opting out

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pattern14

Airman 1st Class
Jul 12, 2013
Been involved in this forum for a little while now, but the time has come to call it a day. I won't be critical or bad mouth this site outside of course, although it is has been somewhat disappointing to see the amount of animosity that crops up. The primary reason for joining this website was to gain knowledge to support my scale modelling hobby, and to an extent this has been successful. I just got tired of various members with the " I know more', or "my sources are more accurate than your sources " etc etc etc, and having threads closed down because they got hijacked and such. So if the moderator could delete me off the members list I would appreciate it.

I agree with all. Yes, there is quite a bit of b*ll*cks spouted now and then, but the solution is easy - ignore it, and don't get involved, just as you would with something on TV you had no interest in (such as football in my case!).
There's plenty of friendly help, and lots of aviation knowledge, in the modelling sections, where you should get answers without all the 'what if, but, it should have, I would..' cr@p !

Chris, you, of course see more of the forum than I do but IMHO this is one of the nicest places I know of. I see disagreements and I personally have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me. I see members teasing other members but it is good natured teasing and not meant to wound. We are all vastly different people and HAVE different opinions about everything. I have an opinion - you have an opinion. You don't like my opinion then like Terry stated: Ignore it. Simple solution.
Again, I have received thousands of times more help from members who have gone out of their way to help than anyone ever being mean or nasty. Then again I accept that I KNOW very little and I am very willing to have more knowledgeable people educate me. I'd dearly love to sit next to Wayne or Vic or Terry or... and watch while they build a model.
I mean this in a totally non-nasty way, but, Jeeze Grow up - Sticks and Stones

I find this place a bit like a high school dance where you have different groups of people hanging out independently in different groups. I've not dialogued much with the other groups but have occasionally looked into the threads and have chosen to remain distant what with all the back and forth between people who think they have more knowledge than they care to admit.

Come on over to our corner of the gym. Terry brought some T-Stoff in a paper bag.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but people that "know more than me", I try to learn from.

I'm not about to get in an argument about correct propeller pitch or wing loading in a flying gizmo with GregP or Joe or Parcival or Stona (and others). These dudes have forgotten more about airplanes than I'll ever know. And to the credit of each person, I have never taken it as "we know more than you". I take it as "this is what is really true" or "this is what I experienced first hand".

If you joined up for modelling and thats your interest then theres no better place I dont think, ignore the rest. Much of it from what I can see is trying to re write history or change what cannot be changed.

What Ifs are always fun. They are much like the "road not taken" which every human has wondered about. And as far as History is concerned it would be a wonderful thing if true. And...as we all know it is written by the victors. So why not speculate? Hard facts certainly exist but what if....

What if we'd bombed the enemy's bacon supply - would the war have been over by Christmas ?
Of course, we'd need to have a Merlin-powered Swordfish, modified into a monoplane and armed with 30mm cannon, and an internal bomb bay capable of carrying a 22,000 lb load over an operational range of 2,500 miles, at a 475 mph cruise,but surely that would be feasible ...........

What if we'd bombed the enemy's bacon supply - would the war have been over by Christmas ?
Of course, we'd need to have a Merlin-powered Swordfish, modified into a monoplane and armed with 30mm cannon, and an internal bomb bay capable of carrying a 22,000 lb load over an operational range of 2,500 miles, at a 475 mph cruise,but surely that would be feasible ...........

Swordfish needed a griffon which wasnt available at the time, what was needed was the Blackburn Bacon, a little known monoplane which performed much better than the merlin monoplane swordfish but was such an ugly mutha no one dared inflict it on the future modellers of the world

I think this website and modeling forums are one of the more tamest I have visited or become part of since returning to the hobby of modeling. Really, in my view it doesn't get any better than this site. It's not perfect and there are some disagreements but the disagreements very rarely degenerate into name calling. There are some sites i.e. armour modeling sites where things can get downright nasty. There are rampant rivet counters who troll the forums pointing out apparent errors in people's comments or lack of accuracy of their model build meanwhile one never sees them posting their own work. Their view seems to be if your posting here your open to critique since the site is known for that. In other cases the most experienced modelers will post their work but not comment on anyone's build unless the poster has either written a modeling book or has a history of having their models published in various model magazines. There have been modelers on these sites that have even said the site should be more like the aviation model websites which are more respectful.

Unfortunately, if you are looking for the perfect website where there are no disagreements and the most experienced chime in time and again on model builds it doesn't exist. I can say some of the models I have seen here are every bit as good as any I have seen in modeling magazines and books but these same modelers often participate in offering advise and encouragement to the less experienced.

Last edited:
Maybe the biggest atrocity was bombing whiskey distilleries, closely followed by bacon. How can you call yourself civilized if you can't start the day with a shot and a BLT sandwich?

Next you'll be telling us the world isn't flat and that Dolly Parton isn't all natural.

Where will it all end?

Been involved in this forum for a little while now, but the time has come to call it a day. I won't be critical or bad mouth this site outside of course, although it is has been somewhat disappointing to see the amount of animosity that crops up. The primary reason for joining this website was to gain knowledge to support my scale modelling hobby, and to an extent this has been successful. I just got tired of various members with the " I know more', or "my sources are more accurate than your sources " etc etc etc, and having threads closed down because they got hijacked and such. So if the moderator could delete me off the members list I would appreciate it.
i know excactly what you mean, i intend to severly limit my time on here for the forseable future, cant put my finger on why but the forum just feels different these days and not in a good way for me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back