P-40K Col. Robert L. Scott Commander 23rd Fighter Group, 1943 China

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This one is going again. Sprayed on the green today. OD toned down with some brown. This has really turned into a marathon build but I hope to get it done as I want to be able to start on some of Scott's other aircraft.
P5030826.JPG

Last edited:
I came across some new pictures of Scott's P-40K that I had not before seen that confirm some details of the profile I'm using and also something that I don't believe has been included in any profile before.

Pic 12 These color pictures of Scott confirm that the Tiger decal was the original type used by the AVG and not the modified type with the tiger wearing an Uncle Sam hat and leaping through a Chinese roundel. Also it confirms the painted out fuselage roundel.
Pic 3 confirms the "7" on the fuselage and that that the serial on the tail was painted out. It also shows what looks like a rough shaped arrow on the lower surface of the left wing that hasn't shown up in any profiles of this aircraft that I've seen.
Pict 4 also shows the arrow and shows that the US insignia appears to be the type without the bars .

These pictures have been a wonderful find and will I believe enable me to make a very accurate version of Scotty's last P-40.
R L Scotts P-40K.jpg
TIGERS_RLS__2_.jpg
TIGERS_45.jpg
p-40k_23pg_scott_aa.jpg

Last edited:
fwiw, I took on an appreciation for the P-40's lines when I saw the lovely specimen at FLYING HERITAGE COLLECTION recently
it was in AVG colors, took me back to my childhood, the God is my Co-Pilot movie and books and my primitive building skills then.
The museum plane was Lend Lease to Russia, shot down near-new near Murmansk. Includes real patched bullet holes

The build looks GREAT!

General Scott was our "mascot" if you will for the IPMS chapter at Warner Robins and an honorary curator at the Museum of Avation there. He would come out to the meetings about once a year and speak, man he would have you on the floor laughing so hard you were crying. He could really spin a line. He would be very pleased with this Glenn, really nice work for a man who really deserved it. Keep it up. I did his F-84, but have not gotten further. Really nice work.

General Scott was our "mascot" if you will for the IPMS chapter at Warner Robins and an honorary curator at the Museum of Avation there. He would come out to the meetings about once a year and speak, man he would have you on the floor laughing so hard you were crying. He could really spin a line. He would be very pleased with this Glenn, really nice work for a man who really deserved it. Keep it up. I did his F-84, but have not gotten further. Really nice work.
"God is My Co-Pilot" was the first book about WWII I ever read when I was a kid and have re-read in countless times since. I have an autographed picture of him standing in front of this very aircraft hanging on the wall right behind my modeling bench next to ny fathers service portrait (my icon) I never had the opportunity to meet him in person and would have been absolutely thrilled to actually do so and hear some of his story's first hand. You're very lucky to been able to do just that.

I have a long range plan to model all of his aircraft that I can. I've already done his first P-40 "Old Exterminator", but it was a wile ago and I may re-do it at some point. I have decals and kits for His F-84G and F-84E and will do one or the other next. I would like to do the F-84F and F-100 he flew also but have only been able to find a picture of another F-84F in his unit, and a photo of part of his F-100. If you or anyone has other photos of these aircraft I would appreciate you posting them here.

Nice find Glenn. Curious about that arrow. I've got a Flying Tigers book around here somewhere and see if it's mentioned in there.

Geo
Might not be anything in a Flying Tigers book George. The Tigers were disbanded July 1942 and Scott didn't get this P-40 until much later in '42. Might be something in a book on the 23rd FG, but I've not seen anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back