P-47D RAZORBACK, 1/48 Monogram " DONE! "

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello friends, thank you for your visits and comments. 8)

Let's catch up with this boy.
I started to shade the top of the fuselage and wings, pretending to feel sunny and slightly burnt paint. I did this by selecting some panels ...

For superior color "de mi querido Razor", I experienced an almost equal mix of Model Air Olive Grey 71,015 with Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab and an equal share of Tamiya Lacquer thinner. I must say that twice I had to clean the airbrush, because the color came out very spat (You may give me an explanation) do not know if are not compatible acrylic colors still being both, or thinner does not support Vallejo ... really i do not know.

Needing to thin the paint to the effect of shadows and panels, I decided to use the pair of Tamiya. I had no need to thin the paint Vallejo before and I have not bought their thinner. I did not want to risk using distilled water or isopropyl alcohol.

The rear stabilizers and cowl are superimposed only to give an overview ...
I still have to apply the red and in the case of the tail will be easier without stabilizers.

I let it dry color about an hour and carefully started chipping ....

I've done it too carefully ... there is no going back and I can not be wrong.
I used 3 types of brushes and well sharpened toothpicks !!

So you see the results ...

I look forward to your comments and if someone can tell me that could happen to the Olive colors of Tamiya and Vallejo, I thank you for continue to learn from this.

Saludos a todos

Luis Carlos

Last edited:
Always are a source of gladness and encouragement its participation to visiting the workbench. Thank you all.

Tomorrow I hope to airbrush the color red if I like the tone I can get with my colors of Vallejo. The tip of the propeller is also in red.
I will also conclude details undercarriage ... anyway, continues fine workmanship.

Gracias a todos y buenas noches

Luis Carlos

Good work L-C. I've never used Valejo paints but I would be very leery of mixing Tamiya colours with them. Though both are identified as acrylics, I believe there are some slight differences in content that could result in a less than perfect finish. The cowl shot looks like you got a bit of splatter and I don't know if this would be due to an incompatible thinner or if the mix just wasn't thin enough.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if there is a true incompatibility, and that's why I tend to not risk anything by mixing paints of different manufacturers. However, it looks like you were able to pull it off succesfully.

As promised ... I started to mask the parts.

After locating at my PC the color 31136 Federal Standard, I set out to do the sample but instead of Tamiya (because I have not the red XF-7 thanks for the tip Andy), I decided to try Vallejo and I have the Ferrari Red 71,086 and try to mix with Olive Grey Model Air 71,015.

The result was 20/5 parts red/olive.

And the little boy was as follows:

As you can see, there are some details that I must correct where they spent a little painting. Both the red on white, like olive drab on gray at the bottom of the tail.

Here I show the tip of the propeller and the cowl.

Already before I had had an accident when breaking 2 of the 4 propeller blades and today when handling, one of them came off , so I'll have to repair it and this occasion I'll do better by introducing a stiff wire to secure the connection.

I hope yopu like it!!

Hasta aquí los dejo amigos por lo pronto.

See you soon with more advances.

Saludos de Luis Carlos

Thank you for your words Andy
, also without knowing the chemistry of the various paintings, I consider that it is some incompatibility, so I will try to avoid different brands in the same mixture (unless the result is favorable preliminary tests).
The rapprochement of the photos will not let me to lie and splatter ink actually are, hopefully with a fine and delicate sanding may be diminished and some washings are resolved. I think you're right and it is likely that the thinner from Tamiya is not compatible with Vallejo. Although I confess I need to use more secure my airbrush and practice dilutions, the pressure and the amount of ink must expel.

Thanks again my friend for taking the time. It's a great learning experience that I receive and I want to keep learning and improving so many interesting techniques for this beautiful hobby.

sincerely
Luis Carlos

Thanks John, as you you say, it's a shame what happened to the propeller, but I have broken the support of one of the rear wings, also the 2 hooks that attach the top flaps of the landing gear to the fuselage, etc. ... I have a lot of material to practice different remedies . I'll open a hospital ward ... !!!

They are very welcome your views and comments.

LC

I send an affectionate greeting, thanking all visits and comments.

I dedicate myself to make small repairs to advance some of those details (which always leave at the end)

Repair of propeller blades was no major problem (and I'm doing expert in this type of repairs) 8)

I also lost the rear stabilizer tube and did it with a piece of clip. I painted the well-known yellow.

They were placed dampers and elaborated with small wires and cable liners, their respective hydraulic cables and clamps.

It remains to give a few washings

Due to the tube stabilizers that glued in the left wing, had to put first the right aileron at the fuselage after drying, place the left one seeking the best alignment of the three pieces.

Other small broken pieces were * the hinges on the inner hatch of the landing gear (the four pieces !!). The reconstruction technique is the familiar !!

The bending will below 90 ° when put in its final position.

Finally in this post, I'll test how to position the new reconstructed brass fasteners. I did not bending until such time that should be placed.

(... The part that can be seen in the back is slightly crooked ... I realized after taking the pictures ...)

And is urgent to me finish this !!!, but I am aware that I must not despair and do not jeopardize everything achieved so far. If I have learned with this hobby is to HAVE PATIENCE.

You soon friends !!

Users who are viewing this thread