PBY Catalina Black Cats

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

carman1877

Airman
May 14, 2009
I have been looking on the internet for the past couple days trying to find good information and picture of the Black Cat and was wondering if anybody had any. Looking for pictures of internals of the plane but any pictures are welcomed and also sites that have info on Black Cats.

Thanks

I have been looking on the internet for the past couple days trying to find good information and picture of the Black Cat and was wondering if anybody had any. Looking for pictures of internals of the plane but any pictures are welcomed and also sites that have info on Black Cats.

Thanks

VPNAVY - Notices Page

A history of the "VP" Navy

I just read on a site that One single catalina picked up 56 men on a rescue op, is this even possible? Also it then said that another PBY came in and picked up 112 men. However it did dsay that he had to drive 3 miles before he could get enough speed to take off.

In the popular game Call of Duty: World at War they show reflector sights on the guns, where these actually used?

Last edited:
I just read on a site that One single catalina picked up 56 men on a rescue op, is this even possible? Also it then said that another PBY came in and picked up 112 men. However it did dsay that he had to drive 3 miles before he could get enough speed to take off.
Probably true
In the popular game Call of Duty: World at War they show reflector sights on the guns, where these actually used?
I don't think so

Attachments

• 2178432839_867c94297e.jpg
    2178432839_867c94297e.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 943
For info on RAAF black cats get your hands on "Black cats" by A.E. Minty and "cats at war" by Coral Gaunt and Robert Cleworth. There is also an excellent DVD called "Black Knights", I recommend all of them.

Attachments

• 42sqnRAAF2.jpg
    42sqnRAAF2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 42sqnRAAF6.jpg
    42sqnRAAF6.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 304
  • 42sqnRAAF8.jpg
    42sqnRAAF8.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 43sqnRAAF.jpg
    43sqnRAAF.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 248
  • 164404229-O.jpg
    164404229-O.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 351
  • an005408.jpg
    an005408.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 251
  • an005410.jpg
    an005410.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 585
  • zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,894
Thanks for the pictures, I am mostly interested in US Black Cats but they look about the same except for markings.

How do they steer in water, by using flaps? I didn't see a rudder so I guess that is ruled out. Also anybody know if they actually helped to inflict damage on Japan?

Carman,

While all the members here have done a great job showing you pics and providing links, I might suggest you get with Lucky13 on this board as he is a big fan of the Black Cats. He may (or may not) have some additional information your looking for.

Yes Carman, it is possible if the men stand on the upper wing while the pilot just taxi the aircraft from the wreck site to the rescue ship.
See USS Indianapolis wreckage. Victims rescued on USS Cecil J.Doyle.
The wing of the PBY was so severely damaged that the aircraft was sank next day.

A USAAF OA-10A succeded once to take-off with 25 in-board after part of the fuel was jetisoned.
Cheers.

I know that the Black Cats carried a variety of ordinance, such as the "regular" load of (2) 500 pound bombs, and (2) 1000 pound bombs. However what did they consider their most affective weapons, bombs and torpedoes, or their machine guns for strafing because they strafed a lot of the smaller targets they found.

Thanks

Helou Guys
Am start build my Cat in 1:48 scale. Am looking for informations, plans, photos with 20mm nose canons with Catalina (field modyfications)
This canon its Oerlicon? Don't now.
Best regards
Cris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back