Pirates of the.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nah, they are just going for the money now. First movie in the series is the only one I really enjoyed watching. Can't say the same for other two.

I cant understand how pirates were ever glorified.

John Louis Stevens "Treasure Island" I presume. Even as a kid a Disneyland riding the attraction i was conflicted.

These guys were thieves, rapist, murders, sodomites and outcasts of the highest order yet children dress up as them, they are emulated at theme parks and we make moves about them. crazy..

Does that mean in 100 years there will be movies about jolly crack dealers and gang bangers?
Soon there be a ride where every body is in an Escalade and shooting cops with an AK...

First film I genuinely enjoyed. The next two were so overblown and up themselves I quickly lost interest (just like the Matrix films.) Please not another one!

Pirates = Sodomites

Hadn't heard that one before. Comiso you need some Prozac, buddy. :lol:

Children dress up as many things. Skeletons, devils, demons, witches, vampires and monsters. And I've known some adults who "dress" up as Nazis in reinactments. You are reading WAY too much into this my friend.

Y'all're all missing the point. Three movies with Kiera Knightly. I think there was a pirate theme in there somewhere, but I just really couldn't tell....! :lol:

(secretly, I gotta agree with Matt on this one, too....)

I agree with viking, as long as the plot is good then go for it. I always like a good pirate movie.

I liked the first POTC (New term :p) and thought the second one was OK, but the third one was VERY cheesy and over the top.

Heh. In the third one, I love how the East India Trading Company ship and the Black Pearl are both barreling down on each other, head on....with sails full of wind. Both of em. Which direction was it blowing from, anyway?

:D:D

Because they bucked the system and authority, they became romantic legends and heroes like Butch Cassidy, Ned Kelly and Robin Hood and we all love a hero. And what great stories that Hollywood can turn into mega bucks.

I liked the first one, that was entertaining, the second wasn't so bad, but I thought the third went a bit beyond the imagination, though the special effects were good.
:hotsun: :hotsun:

Every era has it's own villians and the succeeding generation will glorify those same villians.

Ages ago, the Vikings were the dreaded menace, descending on villages, raping killing and looting. Look how people look upon them now.

Same could be said for Billy the Kid, the James gang, Dillinger, Bonnie and Clyde...

And the street punk "gangsta" thing is already being glorified by music and movies.

I used to ride the Pirates of the Carribean all the time as a kid...I thought it was extremely cool how the first movie used exact scenes characters from the Disneyland ride. (They did the same thing with the Haunted Mansion movie)

John Louis Stevens "Treasure Island" I presume. Even as a kid a Disneyland riding the attraction i was conflicted.

These guys were thieves, rapist, murders, sodomites and outcasts of the highest order yet children dress up as them, they are emulated at theme parks and we make moves about them. crazy..

Does that mean in 100 years there will be movies about jolly crack dealers and gang bangers?
Soon there be a ride where every body is in an Escalade and shooting cops with an AK...
Knight are glorified to, but they raped and murdered just the same.
Lighten up, it's just a movie.

Knight are glorified to, but they raped and murdered just the same.
Lighten up, it's just a movie.

Hmmm... I think your picturing of knights may be a bit under-rated. Of course, some of them could have been bastards, but I do like the idea of chivalry...

Plus, one's ******* is always someone else's hero. Here are a few examples...

William Wallace : A criminal for the English, a hero for the Scotts.
Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc, in English): A crazy bitch for the English, a hero (and saint) for the French.

We could find more, but I don't really have time...

Hmmm... I think your picturing of knights may be a bit under-rated. Of course, some of them could have been bastards, but I do like the idea of chivalry....

:lol: Thanks for proving my point. You see, people need some romantic view on things.
For your info: Knights in fact were the land owners. They usually enriched themselves over the backs of the peasants who worked on his lands. Chivalry is an invention of storytellers. Almost all of them were bastards, they needed to be that, the middle ages were hard times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back