Post Your Models!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My first model in 6 - 7 years, so really my first model as an adult, and not doing the the typical rush as quickly as possible. I was trying out a few different things, and am definitely staying away from Airfix next time I grab a kit. The undercarriage was a right nightmare and wasn't fitting properly.

Apologies for the photo quality :)

DSCF4397.JPG

Well done Alex, looks great. I, like you am just starting back at it and the one thing that is driving me to improve is making a model for the group build. It defiantly makes you push your boundaries knowing it will be judged even if it is just for fun. Join in if you fancy, and pop yourself in the beginner Catagory like me and build away.

Thanks! :D

Well done Alex, looks great. I, like you am just starting back at it and the one thing that is driving me to improve is making a model for the group build. It defiantly makes you push your boundaries knowing it will be judged even if it is just for fun. Join in if you fancy, and pop yourself in the beginner Catagory like me and build away.

Chris, I've found your post and will watch it with interest. I've always liked the big old P-47. The 1/48 seem to have a lot more detail, and while the Mosquito was fun to paint, there isn't as much in the way of cockpit detail like on your build. Payday is Friday, and heading back to university soon will mean a lot of spare time for drinking...and modelling perhaps ;) I have always liked the Corsair so will price up a few kits me thinks!

Nicely done Alex. You'll find 1/48th scale, as well as being more detailed, quite a lot easier to build. The Airfix 1/48th scale Mosquito, for example, although 30 years old now, is still good, goes together well, and is quite nicely detailed - exceptionally detailed for the time, back then.
Joining in on a Group Build will not only provide something to aim for, it will also bring help, advice, hints, tips, and encouragement, all free of charge, from other members.
Who needs to buy modelling 'guide books' when we have all this on the forum?!!

Isn't that the same kit as the old MPC version? How many times have I built that one... Nicely done!

Just stick to 72 pixel res and no more than 800 wide.......

did a bit of photo shop and trimming...... just for laffs.

Attachments

• DSCF4397b.jpg
    DSCF4397b.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 103
Cheers Bill! :D

Working on a impulse buy 1/72 Stuka at the moment. I brought some Tamiya Acrylics a while back when a model shop closed for 60p each. Unfortunately they don't seem to brush very well on bare plastic, so I'm going to get some thinner tomorrow and a few other bits and bobs, from what I've read they're more suited to airbrushing (Which I can't afford at the moment as I'm back to university soon). If anyone has any tips in using them I'd appreciate it, I've brought at least 10 - 15 pots and it would be a shame to not use them!

Acrylics paints don't "like" bare plastic especially if it isn't washed with warm water and soap. Also these need a kind of a primer. It can be the Tamiya one for acrylic colours or just a light greay enamel like Humbrol, ModelMaster, Revell. Enamels are quite easy to apply with brushes and are a great background for them prventing peeling off. These Tamiya paints can be apply with a brush as well . But I would suggest thinning them with a Tamiya thinner and adding some of retarder for acrylic paints. Applying of them can be done thinly twice or three times depending on colour. For painting of larger areas I would recommend a thick brush of soft bristle like these below...

b8c067a51618d9ca48b6a85131fff92f.jpg

m80324a_99199999037_CitadelBrushset_873x627.jpg

For the brushes Bill? If they're good quality, it's not a bad price. I pay around £2 for a decent No.3 size brush, and twice that for the same size brush in sable.

I like the Tamiya brushes 86067 is a set 2 flat size 2 and 0 I believe and 1 size 0 round. For a starter set real good. Price should be less than 10$ at least on that site

Acrylics paints don't "like" bare plastic especially if it isn't washed with warm water and soap. Also these need a kind of a primer. It can be the Tamiya one for acrylic colours or just a light greay enamel like Humbrol, ModelMaster, Revell. Enamels are quite easy to apply with brushes and are a great background for them prventing peeling off. These Tamiya paints can be apply with a brush as well . But I would suggest thinning them with a Tamiya thinner and adding some of retarder for acrylic paints. Applying of them can be done thinly twice or three times depending on colour. For painting of larger areas I would recommend a thick brush of soft bristle like these below...

Thanks for the advice Wurger :D I've since tried them out and find them a bit of hassle really, in comparison to the Revell acrylics I also use. The later seem to brush on a lot easier and with only a little thinner needed compared to the Tamiya. I think I will just keep them until I get my hands on an airbrush :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back