Recent Fishing Trip...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Who here doesnt like to fish???

My son took a trip out into the Gulf of Mexico with some friends about 120 miles with the original intention of hookin up into some Yellowfin Tuna.... When u start getting close to the Ram oil platform u start to see all the big boats trolling and throwin out the chum, and u start to get excited... Been there before and the adrenaline is pumpin, thinking of fightin serious gamefish...

Alas no Tuna were around, but close to the rig they spottted some BIG Cobia, or Lemonfish, so they grabbed up some live eels, tossed em out and got the hooks set.... Landed several big ones....

During the course of the day they moved around some, as the bag limits are kinda small.... Also hooked into some Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Bluefish and the occasional Trout.... Had a Barracuda come up on my Son as he was reeling in a good sized Red Snapper, it bit in half and then ate the rest....

But the one thing I was lookin forward to getting some sweet fillets of was the Amberjacks, and they got em good.... They also ran across a Sperm Whalel on the surface, got to within 10 meters of it, then it took another deep dive... They were toolin around in about 3000 foot of water..

Attachments

• trip02.jpg
    trip02.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 140
  • trip06.jpg
    trip06.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 153
  • trip07.jpg
    trip07.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 149
  • trip07b.jpg
    trip07b.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 149
  • trip07a.jpg
    trip07a.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 142
  • trip07c.jpg
    trip07c.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 139
  • trip09.jpg
    trip09.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 136
  • trip10.jpg
    trip10.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 136
  • trip11.jpg
    trip11.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 141
  • trip11a.jpg
    trip11a.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 146
  • trip12.jpg
    trip12.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 141
  • trip13.jpg
    trip13.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 145
  • trip14.jpg
    trip14.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 136
  • trip15.jpg
    trip15.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 147
  • trip16.jpg
    trip16.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 136
  • trip17.jpg
    trip17.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 143
  • trip19.jpg
    trip19.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 139
  • trip20.jpg
    trip20.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 134
  • trip22.jpg
    trip22.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 135
  • trip23.jpg
    trip23.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 134
  • trip24.jpg
    trip24.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 134
  • trip25.jpg
    trip25.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 142
  • trip26.jpg
    trip26.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 144
Now that's fishing!

That gets my blood pumpin just looking at the photos! I've never seen a sperm whale.. that would be cool. What kind of bait? Shrimp? Squid? Back in Cali the oil platforms have lots of scallops can u dive on those?(I never wanted to eat filter feaders caught off an oil platform - call me a sissy).

I surprised it's that deep in the Gulf.. how far out? There's a uboat wreck out there somewhere..

Awesome Dan... good post..

we may have to start a fishing thread.. the HUGE tarpon are running here (100 lbs +) and the snook are biting...

fk... i need a boat!

Loota fun fellas.... Bait was a combo of live baits: eels, hardtails and shrimp.... U could dive the platforms if u want, u get alot of cuda and sharks tho, so always alittle bit fun there hehe... No scallops....

The Ram Platform is about 120 miles out.... Thats where the Marlin, Sailfish, Tuna, Wahoo and big Tiger Sharks run about...

You guys made a nice haul there!

Man, you said the magic word...Marlin! We'd go down to Baja and the waters were just loaded with action, you name it, they had it.

We never had a whale get that close to us, but we had a whaleshark cruise right beneath us on one trip. I know they aren't a toothed predator, but it still creeps me out to see a shark that freakin' big.

nice haul Bud ! ............. though not enough Beer

I remember my Dad an avid fisherman would take us out off the central Oregon coast to fish for Salmon, sadly my bro and I don't do well on choppy water, caught 5 nearly p7ked my guts out my bro was under cabin hanging over a 5 gal plastic bucket all morn. Can laugh at all of this now, as they are fun memories

Great shots Dan. I used to live about 15 miles from South Padre Island and we used to go fishing all around there, including surf fishing.....until we got into a bunch of sharks. Kinda scared me out of the ocean.

nice haul Bud ! ............. though not enough Beer

I remember my Dad an avid fisherman would take us out off the central Oregon coast to fish for Salmon, sadly my bro and I don't do well on choppy water, caught 5 nearly p7ked my guts out my bro was under cabin hanging over a 5 gal plastic bucket all morn. Can laugh at all of this now, as they are fun memories
I tried to go salmon fishing off the California coast last spring and they told me that it was shut down. That was a bummer. I showed up at the Frisco wharves and couldn't find a boat to even go after halibut. A bad year I reckon.

Great photos Dan, looked like a blast. Years back I worked on one of those big floaters out in the Mississipi Canyon out of Venice La. Good times and great fishing. I'll have to go out to fish soon.

I love fishing! I am so jealous, that is the one thing I can not do over here, deep sea fishing! I get to do a lot of river and lake fishing, but I really want to get out and catch some ocean fish!

Yeap, I love sea food man. I can eat any kind of fish and sea food. If it comes out of the water, put it on my plate! Friday night I made a good meal of:

Scallops with Chipotle-Orange Sauce
Halibut with Oranges and Angel Hair Pasta

Makin me hungry Chris..... Also caught a decent sized triggerfish, which is EXCELLENT eatin lemme tell ya....

My son Ryan will probably devour those 2 fillets tho, little prick..... The Mangrove Snapper is also especially tasty meat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back