Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jjl_pn wrote:
You can use a sealer over the top that will fix the Metalliser. Model Master make this also. HTH.

Thanks for the heads up :thumbup:...I figured as much as I was looking into the Metalizer system prior to ordering it, so I ordered that as well....it came with the package ;)

Sounds like you have some experience Does this considerably improve the toughness of the metalizer paint layers? Is it in some way recommended to get some sort of paint layer underneath the metalizer as well? I've been reading about more metal-like paints that seem of benefit (even if it's not mandatory from a stricktly technical point of view) from a glossy black coat of paint underneath it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up :thumbup:...I figured as much as I was looking into the Metalizer system prior to ordering it, so I ordered that as well....it came with the package ;)

Sounds like you have some experience Does this considerably improve the toughness of the metalizer paint layers? Is it in some way recommended to get some sort of paint layer underneath the metalizer as well? I've been reading about more metal-like paints that seem of benefit (even if it's not mandatory from a stricktly technical point of view) from a glossy black coat of paint underneath it?

I've used it once so far, a P-38 in the D-Day GB. I didn't use sealer and probably should. I Liked the result though masking was a problem, as well as bleed through if you paint over it without sealer. I've seen some really good results with it on other models, so have a go. Your sanding and prep will need to be A1 as every glitch and scratch shows through. I mean everything!

Cheers

I've used it once so far, a P-38 in the D-Day GB. I didn't use sealer and probably should. I Liked the result though masking was a problem, as well as bleed through if you paint over it without sealer. I've seen some really good results with it on other models, so have a go. Your sanding and prep will need to be A1 as every glitch and scratch shows through. I mean everything!

Cheers

Thanks for sharing your experience with the metalizer! They seem to need the Alclad treatment as far as sanding/polishing goes. Keep going until you think it's right....then do it another one or two times...and then you might get it right.

I've used the metalizer paints many times for small areas such as engine cowls and single panels and it works great for that, but only once on and entire aircraft, and that time just handling it wile decaling wore some of it completely off. Sealing it helps, but you tend to loose the effect of real aluminum, and masking will pull it right off. Do all your other colors first.

Good stuff Guys, Peter got my D-9 for $37 maybe you should contact my mate for stuff you might be chasing, in the future....?

Hmmm conversion rate on the 19 $UK works out less, but it was a special deal. $37 aussie is also pretty sweet. PM your mates details, cheers Wayne. Not that I need another D-9 mind, but just in case this one meets with an accident - or gets lost somewhere. :lol: It can happen. :rolleyes:

Well I splurged this time and got this as well fairey Barracuda mk2 Hopefully I can get the Albacore next month

SO48021.jpg

Kinda what got me interested in it, Ugly damn thing but neat looking as well.

Yesterday at the Airshow I wrapped up a deal with a fellow modeler who cleaned up his stash. Made sence to do it there to be able to save on the shipping costs

Hasegawa 1/72 A6M3 Zero (prolly to end up as my entry in a Jap group-build)
173_rn.jpg

Hasegawa 1/72 MC.202 Folgore (should be nice sitting next to the Sparviero I bought the other day)
ha51302.jpg

Great day overall yesterday at the airshow (thank God...it didn't rain over there while the rest of the country pretty much was rainy all day) Nice up close lining up of the aircraft, so good possibilities to take a few pics. And feel/watch/hear a Sea Fury and Bearcat burst into life a few feet away.

...so now it's time to get on with a few builds...being all inspired again and all :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back